Treasure

Vincent's POV

I glance over at Wendy, who is busy avoiding my eyes while staring out the window. She nervously picks at her dry and flaky cuticles, unaware they are starting to bleed. Taking my right hand off the steering wheel, I place my hand on her's. She seems to slightly jump, but gives me a weak smile. 

"Aren't you going to tell me what happened?" I ask, squeezing her hand. 

"Oh, right..." she remembers as if it was something else bothering her. "Someone took a picture of Greg and me again this morning. It wasn't a big deal, but I didn't want to ruin everyone else's vacation," she replies. 

Still, her fake smile fell and she went back to thinking about what was actually bothering her. 

"If anyone says anything to you, tell me and I'll deal with them," I instruct Wendy. 

She giggles slightly and I'm taken back. 

"What? Why are you laughing?" I puff out my chest. "Are you implying I'm weak?"

"No, it's just..." Wendy pauses, finally showing me her genuine smile. "You're so sweet. How can you look threatening?" She pinches my cheek, tugging on it slightly. 

"Ow, my manhood..."

"I'm teasing you," Wendy smiles even brighter, now flashing her teeth. She leans and lands a soft kiss on my cheek. "Thank you. I can always rely on you."

"Here too," I pucker my lips, turning to Wendy. 

"Eyes on the road, mister," she pushes my cheek so I was facing the front again. 

"How about a detour?"

"A detour?"

"Yeah. It would be a waste if you go home now even though you didn't do anything."

"I guess," Wendy agrees. 

"Plus, we've both so busy, we haven't gone on a proper date in a while."

"We go every Friday after work."

"I said a proper date. Eating soggy fries from a drive-tru doesn't cut it."

"Fine, let's go on a date then."

With no hesitation, I turned the car around and started to drive back. 

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," I grin. 

"Does it involve food?"

"No, just me."

"I want to go home..."

"What? Having me is not enough?"

"Nope," Wendy joking replies, shaking her head.

I park in front of a familiar ice cream shop and Wendy excitedly gets out once she sees the storefront. Without saying anything, she rushes inside and I hurry in behind her. I wait in line beside Wendy, letting her stand closer to the display of ice creams behind a glass pane. Like an excited five-year old and without realization, she presses her fingertips against the glass, carefully surveying the selection. When we get to the front of the line, I automatically order. 

"Two cones please. One mint chip and one vanilla." I hand the cashier my credit card. 

"How did you know?" Wendy looks at me, astonished. 

"Of course I know mint chip is your favorite," I coolly look away, though I wanted to keep staring at Wendy's twinkling eyes of admiration. I could save an entire universe and Wendy wouldn't be as impressed as she is right now.