:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: 37] //An Original Story//

~*~ Matt's Point Of View ~*~

"In other news today, early this morning a house in the Richmond Forest, Vermont, collapsed due to a large fire. The cause of the fire is currently under investigation, but it is likely it was caused by a gas leak..."

"Gas leak?" I repeated in a snort. "Yeah, right. Try bombs."

"Two were injure in the fire, one dead, and one body missing. The names of those involved in the accident are not being released. Firefighters are still looking through the rubble for the missing body. It's very possible that it could be buried under the incredible amounts of rubble. Investigators believe there is little to no chance of the missing person to be alive--"

I immediately pressed the power button on the remote. I didn't want to hear any more. I carefully placed the remote on the side table, cautious to not rip out my IV again. I had already done it once, and I didn't want to have to suffer through getting it put it again.

"No chance, huh."

I whipped my head around to see Hudson staring at the T.V with a blank expression.

"Hudson, you're up," I said in surprise.

"Thank you for informing, captain Obvious."

"You're welcome, lieutenant Sarcasm."

Hudson turned and scowled at me for a moment, before he lowered his eyes to the floor.

"What am I doing?" he muttered, looking at his wrist, where he also had an IV implanted.

"Sitting in a hospital room, recovering from your injuries."

"I should be dead."

"What?" I responded, narrowing my eyebrows.

"I should be dead. Not Willow. I'm the one who was supposed to die!" Hudson started, his voice growing louder as he continued. "Now she's dead! And it's my fault!"

"Hudson, shut up!" I shouted, chucking a box of tissues from my side table at him.

The box hit him in the gut and he haunched over letting out a surprised gasp of air.

"What the hell?"

"Why are trying to do? Make me pity you?" I demanded.

"No!"

"Then stop saying that this is your fault and that Emmery's dead and that you should have died!" I said, giving him a harsh look. "We don't know for sure that Emmery is dead. And if, and I'm praying this isn't true, she is... do you think she'd want you blaming everything on yourself? The way you're acting now makes it seem like Emmery's sacrifice to save us was a waste."

Hudson stared at me for a moment, his mouth pressed in a firm line. He frowned slowly, turning his attention to the floor.

"I know," he whispered, so quietly I had to strain my ears to hear him. "I know! But it's not fair."

"Life isn't fair."

"Willow didn't do anything to deserve to die though!" Hudson cried, glaring at me angrily.

I stared at him in shock when I realized his eyes were wet. He glared at me for a moment more before looking away.

"Uh," I started, unsure what to say.

I never pinned Hudson as the weepy type, so seeing him look like he was about to was new to me. And I had no clue what to say. Luckily, a knock at the door saved me.

"Come in," I said, a little too eagerly.

The door opened and in came a familiar person. My eyes widened in shock, my mouth going dry.