:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: 26] //An Original Story//

"Yeah, that's me," The Butterfly responded in an amused voice.

"Where's Hudson?" I demanded, my breath quickening.

"He's right here," The Butterfly responded and I heard a muffled yell.

"Hudson!"

"He's fine... for now."

"Where are you?" I demanded, clenching my phone so hard my knuckles were turning white.

"Why should I tell you?" The Butterfly responded in a drawl. "It's not like you can do anything to help him. He's going to die."

"I'm not just going to give up!" I cried, glaring at nothing. "He's my best friend, damn it."

"You sound determined."

"I am!"

The Butterfly sighed. "I guess I can tell you. It won't do much for you though."

My heartbeat increased. Was he really going to tell me? "Where?"

"Go to where you and Hudson first met. I'll be waiting."

There was a click and the line went silent. I snapped my phone shut and frowned.

I frowned. Where was the first place Hudson and I met? The park? I rubbed my forehead. Where...

I gasped. The store on the side of the street where the car crashed! Cooper's corner!

I opened my phone again and searched through my contacts and clicked on Matt. I put the phone to my ear and impatiently tapped my foot.

"Where are you? I told you to meet me at the car fifteen minutes ago!" an angry voice suddenly came from the receiver.

I pulled the phone away from my head and winced. "Meet me at the corner store! Cooper's Corner!"

My phone beeped, signaling low battery. I scowled in annoyance.

"Why?" Matt asked.

"Just go! I'll meet you there!"

I closed my phone and stuffed it in my pocket, taking off in a sprint towards the store. I was only about five minutes away. The only sounds I could hear were the pounding of my feet on asphalt and the blood in my ears. After about three minutes of sprinting I could see the store. I was closer it than I expected.

I slowed to a jog, and finally a stop just before the door. Matt still hadn't arrived. I tried to peer through the window, but the boards the owners had placed after the accident covered most of it. They still hadn't gotten around to fixing the place.

I quickly looked around me. The street was still dead. I tried the door to the store and found it open. I swallowed and opened the door, slipping in.

It was pitch black. I felt around the wall for a light switch. When I felt one I flipped it up, but to my dismay, it didn't work. I scowled and slowly continued to feel my way around the room. After a second, I pulled out my cell phone and used it as a small flashlight.

There was a door on the other side of the room. I slowly began making my way over to it. I tried the handle; it was unlocked. The door opened and I went in, silently closing it behind me.

My hands trailed along the wall for a light switch. Something clicked after a moment and light flooded the room. To my dismay, it was completely empty. It must have been a supply closet.

I sighed and turned to back to the door, grabbing the handle. I pulled and the door didn't move. I tried again. No luck.

"Oh, no," I groaned, yanking at the door handle. "How much of an idiot can I be?"