Chapter Two: Surprises

"I think that sums everything up perfectly," Mr. Sutton said, shuffling the paper spread out on his desk. I watched as he organized it all into a pile before slipping them into a folder, setting it aside. When he looked back up at me, I knew what he was going to say next. "Are you sure you don't want to speak with your father?"

I smiled kindly, trying to hide the panic. "I'm sure. If I see him now, it'll waver my resolve to put him behind bars."

He nodded. "It's your choice, so I won't tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Have you at least thought about that therapy we talked about last time?"

"I don't need it," I answered easily, holding his gaze. "I've had helped from some close friends of mine, so there's no reason for me to spend extra money."

He nodded again, reluctantly accepting this, and stood up. "Then I guess that concludes today's meeting."

I followed him, smiling. "Thank you," I said, taking his outstretched hand, "It's can't be easy working with someone like me."

"Some like you?" He arches a brow. "Someone who's actually considerate when it comes to their defense attorney's schedule? Of course it isn't!"

I chuckled and he smiled.

Lance Sutton was Virginia's most well-known prosecutor. Complimented for the amount of cases he has won, the number of which over a hundred, he was efficient in his work. With short, light brown hair and pretty olive green eyes, he was, without a doubt, gorgeous as well.

Lean, even in a fitted suit, he didn't seemed to have much muscle, but there was still definition that could be seen through the fabric. His jaw was sharp, but softened when he smiled, and his nose was a little crooked (rumor has it that it was from a fight with a convict).

In the words of oh-wise-one Val, he was beyond lickable.

I shook my head, mentally cursing Valery for even putting something like that in my head.

"What are you doing Saturday?" Mr. Sutton asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

"If nothing else, I'll probably go to the library with a friend to study. Or sleep. Whichever works. Why?"

"I was thinking we could go to lunch," he said matter-of-factly. "Get a change of background."

"Mr. Sutton, I don't think you're allowed to hit on your clients," I joked.

"Please, call me Lance, and I was just thinking that you've been a lot of help over the past few years. You're cooperative and try to fit to my schedule as much as possible and you never complain. I think that calls for some sort of reward, wouldn't you agree?" His smile was cute, small dimples appearing.

"Yeah," I agreed, "It would be nice to get out of this room."

"So, is noon alright with you?"

"Okay." I smiled. "I'll see you then."

"Then," he confirmed, returning my smile.

A knock at the door caused my head to look over at it. Lance tilted his head, muttering a faint "who could it be?" before opening the door. My eyes widened at the sight of Tiffany and her mother, both dressed in dreary colors.

"Is Deserae here?" Tiffany's mother asked politely, her tone light and friendly.

Lance glanced at me, raising an eyebrow in a silent question.

I shrugged.

He turned back to Mrs. Adams. "She's right here. Come on in."

She peeked into the room and smiled when she saw me, pushing past Lance to stand in front of me, Tiffany not far behind. "I've been meaning to give this to you." She handed me a box.