5

Tian Yi stands before the Emperor looking pale from the lack of sleep. The Emperor scans the blueprints for the weapons with great intensity. The parchment detailed the creation of bombs and cannons and napalm. His stern expression slowly transform into joy and excitement. "Son of Tian you have conducted a great meritorious deed. You may rest easy you shall be greatly rewarded." The Emperor turns to Feixiang with great satisfaction. "Feixiang you have suffered. We are regretful for misunderstanding you. Do not fret, We shall clear up the rumors that smear your reputation. However the only issue is how to allow the Son of Tian to remain at your side.... Okay, We shall allow you to keep him at your side as a concubine. We will expect the Son of Tian to often visit to help with the creation of these weapons and to teach the soldiers how to use them." The Emperor commands them and then gestures for them to leave. As they leave they can see the Emperor carefully examining the parchment again.

Over the next few months Tian Yi can be seen scurrying from Feixiang's courtyard to the Emperor's public court, standing beside the other ministers. However Tian Yi arrived in disguise, he had to change into men's clothing before arriving at court. His valuable insight turned him into an important asset for the Emperor, and the other ministers looked at him with suspicion and respect. After court they all tried to meet with him to speak but he always disappeared giving them no chance to encounter him. They all sent their guards and spies to find out information about him but he was like a ghost, it was as if he didn't even exist. The information about the new weapons was a tightly guarded secret so they didn't completely understand why the Emperor put so much significance on this young man. He didn't look older than 20, there were many more ministers much older and more qualified than the youth. Of course being the Son of Heaven, the Emperor did not have to listen to any of these insignificant courtiers. They only held power if he wished it and even their lives were forfeit at his will. So everyone had to repress their dissatisfaction and content themselves with occasional bitter looks at the youth.

On the other end Feixiang was also feeling dissatisfied and bitter. It had been months since he had been able to spend time with his beauty. He didn't even get the chance to cuddle with his Yi-er at night.  ̄へ ̄ Father Emperor is taking his lover away. Hmph. Feixiang leaves the room just in time to see Tian Yi scurrying out of the courtyard. He grabs Tian Yi's hand and pulls him into their quarters. "Yi-er, you've forgotten me as soon as you got a job? How cruel!" Tian Yi looks at Feixiang in confusion, "Aren't I doing this so that we can stay together?" Feixiang feels guilty for playing with Tian Yi when he doesn't even get that he's just joking around, but he decides to get some benefits out of the situation. "Yi-er I'm so lonely, you left me all alone so you should make it up to me!" Tian Yi innocently believes Feixiang and easily agrees, "What do you want me to do?" Feixiang lets out an evil smile and gets Tian Yi to agree to spending a whole uninterrupted night with him.

At a residence on the south side of the palace two people sit facing each other. Within the third prince's private residence only two people are allowed entrance. The third prince faces Tian Wu as they discuss the next steps after their failed plan. Tian Wu had already confessed that Tian Yi was his elder brother as they enacted their plan, but now it had failed. Both of them were confused as to how it failed after the Emperor personally summoned Tian Yi. The third prince looked irritated, "You didn't lie to me did you? Tian Yi is really your older brother?" Tian Wu tried to gauge the third prince's mood and responded quickly, "Yes Sire, Tian Yi is my elder brother from the first wife." Tian Wu had always been able to read the third prince's expressions and adapt accordingly. Tian Wu was the only one allowed to call the third prince by his name, but Tian Wu knew that even that had its limits. While Song Huang might seem to trust him, at the end of the day Tian Wu knew that power would always be more important than friendship to him. He had known the third prince since childhood and he always admired him.