Chapter 27 - Azkaban

Start from the beginning

"About Sirius and Harry? Of course.. I can't help but feel that it is partially my fault.." Dumbledore says quietly, resting his head in his hands.

"Because it is." Severus says sharply, making Dumbledore look up, the shine in his eyes no longer apparent like it usually is. "Whatever do you mean, my dear boy?" Severus narrows his eyes dangerously. "You know exactly what I mean, Albus." He crosses his arms, his cloak billowing slightly from the sharp gesture. "You set Harry on that mission, you knew there would be prices to pay, but of course, it does not affect you, so it's okay." Dumbledore glares a little. "Sev-"

"You knew someone would be there to save him, as you knew that something would go wrong. You don't care about the consequences as long as they do not affect you, isn't that right headmaster? You were the same with Riddle, and the same with Harry in his first and second year. You've put that boy through far too much danger, and I am drawing the line here. Either you fix yourself, or I will go to the authorities. You are a danger to the children of this school. They were not wrong when they called you mad, and I see that now."

Dumbledore stared at Severus with an unreadable expression for a while before looking down again. "I believe you should leave, Severus."

"And fix your mistakes? Gladly." Severus snaps, turning sharply and slamming the door behind him once again, stalking down the staircase.

The moment he steps past the Gargoyle, he heads back towards his quarters.

Harry woke up, looking up to see Sirius cradling him in his arms. The moment he came out of the daze of sleep, he could immediately feel the warmth seep from his body. He didn't like it at all. He immediately felt himself tear up, and he hugged Sirius tightly, who looked down at him with worry, stroking his hair gently. "It'll be okay cub.. Just block it out.."

"I'm scared... I want dad..." Harry whispers quietly, tears running down his face.

"I know.. I'm sure he's figuring things out as we speak.."

"B-But what if he's n-not.." Harry's eyes suddenly got wide. "What if he do-doesn't know we're h-here.. What.. Wh-What if.."

Sirius hugs Harry tightly. "Shh.. It's okay little cub I'm here.. It'll be okay... Block it out.."

"But..." Harry gasps quietly, looking up to him with wide, tear-filled eyes. "What if he.. Forgets...?" He whispers, terror on his face.

Sirius strokes his hair gently, hugging him again. "Do you really think he'd be able to forget you?" He asks with a soft, quiet chuckle. "I don't think that's possible." He says softly. "Things will be fine. I promise."

Harry looks down, his eyes full of tears and worry etched onto his face. Nonetheless, he nods slowly, willing himself to believe his Godfather.

Suddenly a banging from the end of the hall made them jump.

"Shit.. Cub, you've gotta go back to your cell, and fast; and whatever you do, don't make a sound."

"Wh-Why?"

"Go!"

Harry, startled, transformed into his puppy form and squeezed through the bars, running towards his cell. Unfortunately, he forgot that he couldn't just slide through, and he ended up ramming headfirst into the cell bars, and falling backwards, dizzy and disoriented, not hearing Sirius's fearful gasp.

Suddenly a figure loomed over him, and he could feel every ounce of warmth drain from his body. Every thought of escaping or leaving this place vanished, and he stared up into the hooded face in silent terror, unable to speak, unable to move.

Severus grabbed a handful of floo powder and threw it into the fire, watching it as the flames turned an emerald green, and he stepped into the fireplace, announcing, "Ministry of Magic!" And disappearing with a whoosh.

He lands at one of the Ministry's many fireplaces, stepping out and heading directly towards the Minister of Magic's office, knocking strongly.

It was late, so he would be surprised if he was actually there, but to his shock, he heard shuffling.

"Who is it?" Fudge called from inside the office.

"Severus Snape." Severus says simply, and Fudge opens the door, looking confused.

"What are you doing here?"

"I would like to explain things."

Severus and Fudge sat at the desk in the room, and Fudge crosses his arms.

"It's rather late. I hope your reasoning is good." Severus nods. "What was your reasoning for putting Harry and Black in Azkaban."

Fudge tensed. "The boy is a danger to both world, Wizard and Muggle, and so much went down during the trial that I decided Black should stay in Azkaban until we can arrange another trial for him."

Severus grit his teeth.

"And how exactly is he a threat?" Severus snaps, his blood boiling.

"His connection with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is extremely--"

"Irrelevant." Severus says, catching Fudge off guard. "P-Pardon?"

"The Dark Lord is dead, Fudge. Surely you were aware, with it being in the Daily Prophet for weeks afterwards."

He noticed a slight tint in his cheeks, and Severus smirked. "I see you're not up to date with the latest news."

"I-I!"

Severus stood. "I expect him to be out of Azkaban by morning. If he is not, let's just say you'll wish you had done as I asked."

Severus started walking towards the door, but right as he reached for the handle, the fireplace came to life, and a face of someone Severus didn't recognize appeared.

"Minister, the Potter boy was found outside his cell." He says, and Fudge's complexion drains to white. "And, well, you know what happens when... Yeah.." The man clears his throat. "Just thought you'd want to know.." And the man leaves, and Severus turns to Fudge.

"What was he talking about?" He orders, and Fudge chuckles nervously. "N-No need to w-worry.. Hahah.... Potter will be... F-Fine.."

Severus glared hard, stepping forward quickly, his cloak billowing behind him as he stood practically nose-to-nose with the Minister of Magic, and Fudge lost the rest of what little colour was left in his face, and he looked as if he'd be sick. "What. Was. He. Talking. About." Severus ordered, his voice quiet, but threatening, his wand pointed to his chest as he glared dangerously, his dark onyx eyes cold with hatred.

"U-Um..." Fudge backed away a little, nudging the wand away with a shaking hand. "W-Well.. When a prisoner in Azkaban is found outside his cell, and the Dementors find him, w-well... They..." The last couple words turned into inaudible mumbling, and Severus glared harder.

"Th-They..." His voice trailed off again, and Severus slammed his hand on the desk, one of the pictures on it falling to the floor and breaking with a smash. "What do they do." He says darkly, and Fudge looked like he was about to wet himself.

"Th-They kiss them!"

Severus's eyes widened, and he stumbled back, staring at seemingly nothing.

Kiss..?

No.. That can't be... They couldn't...

Could they...?

"There's nothing I can do about it once the Dementors have him in their claws..." Fudge says quietly.

"Send an owl to Albus. I'm going to Azkaban. I may or may not return well enough to teach."

"B-But--"

"NOW!" He orders loudly, walking out of his office and disapparating immediately.

He couldn't apparate directly into Azkaban unfortunately, but.. He had an idea. And to hell if it worked or not.

Nothing would keep him from saving his son.