Chapter 23 - The Mystery

The one with the power to vanquish the dark Lord approaches...

And the dark Lord shall mark him as his equal but he shall have power that the dark Lord knows not...

For neither can live while the other survives...

-----

"Interesting..." Dumbledore mumbles, talking the Prophecy from Harry and observing it.

"What.. What does it mean..?" Harry asks.

"It means.." Dumbledore sits down at his desk, setting the Prophecy down. "That you have great power.. Greater than Voldemort.. You can defeat him, but only in a duel - where he will mark you as his equal."

Harry swallows nervously. The thought of dueling with Voldemort sent shivers down his spine.

"Prophecy aside, there was something I wanted to talk to you about, also dealing with Voldemort."

Harry looked up. "What's that, sir?"

Dumbledore stood up, beginning to pace once again, as he had been doing before.

"For the longest time, I had always assumed that it was your mother's love that protected you from death from the killing curse that was cast upon you - but then I thought just a little deeper."

He paused.

"As you might know, magical oaths are binding. Breaking an oath would strip you of your magic, and possibly even kill you. Severus loved your mother - and he begged Voldemort to spare her, of which Voldemort obliged. During that time that he agreed to spare Lily, he creating an oath between Severus and himself. So, once he killed Lily, and broke his oath, he was killed as a result. So the next time he cast a spell - to kill you - it snapped back towards himself, but instead of killing him, it merely placed a Horcrux inside of you."

"H-Horcrux... Sir...?"

"A Horcrux is a part of somebody's soul, bonded onto an object. Tom Riddle's Diary was one, and you... Are another."

Harry's eyes widened. "I'm... A.. A Horcrux..?"

Dumbledore nods, slowly sitting down and offering him the tin of Lemon Drops, which Harry refused.

"The only way to destroy the Horcrux within you, is if you duel Voldemort, and you allow him to win the first time."

"The first time?"

Dumbledore nods. "The moment he 'kills' you, he will destroy the Horcrux within you. However, he has 5 others out there, who knows where, attatched to who knows what. He may attach his soul onto any object. Therefore, anything that might possibly have meaning to him."

Harry nods silently, standing up slowly and picking up the Prophecy, slowly walking backwards towards the door.

"I um.. I-I should go.."

"Ah, yes. Of course."

Harry slowly closed the door before running down the staircase, past the gargoyle.

He ended up on the lawn of Hogwarts, panting heavily, the Prophecy clutched tightly in his grasp.

Dumbledore always gave him a sense of unease... And why did he always offer him those weird lemon candies?