CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

ON MONDAY MORNING, David finally called Mack back.

              "Well, well, well. Look who came crawling back to me after two days of radio silence," Mack's voice sassed through the phone the second the call went through. "I waited, David. I waited like a wife whose man was away at war. People pitied me, sure... but I never gave up. I knew one day you would return to me and here you are. Begging at my feet. And to be honest, I don't know if I can just forgive and forget."

              "I'm lost without you, babe. Take me back," David said flatly, but had to force his lips to stop from pulling up into a smile. "You're my whole world."

              Mack caved easily, "Oh I'm such a sap for sweet talk. I could never give up on you."

              David laughed and tucked his phone between his shoulder and his ear as he shoved his books into his backpack. It was weird to be getting ready for school after this past weekend, he felt like he was in a different world. But, surprisingly, it was okay.

              "Anyway," Mack sobered up. "What happened, man? I got a random call from you in the middle of the night and then nothing? Hannah called me a couple times wondering if I had heard from you. She sounded worried."

              David's stomach flipped over and he had to close his eyes for a moment, his face feeling hot. "Yeah, it was just... all that stuff."

              Mack was quiet for a second, "What stuff?"

              "Hannah didn't tell you?"

              "No... should she have?"

              David felt a wave of relief wash over him. He was glad that Hannah hadn't gone around telling people that he'd been crying to her in the middle of the night. His neck flushed just thinking about it.

              "Dave? You still there?"

              "Yeah," he blinked, grabbing the keys to his vehicle and moving towards the door. "I'll uh, we'll talk at school?"

              "Cool," Mack clipped. "See you in a few."

              David rolled his windows down as he drove, letting the wind swipe against his skin. He couldn't really explain it, but he felt different. Not that the events of this weekend had been life-changing by any means, he still had French homework and sports teams to worry about, but he felt like he was different. Like something had cracked inside of him like a glowstick, opening something that couldn't be closed again.

              He pulled into an open parking space and slung his bag over his shoulder as he moved towards the front of the school. A few people said hi to him or tapped their fist against his, and he did his best to give them a genuine smile in return. David had to keep reminding himself that these people didn't know anything about what happened this weekend. They hadn't seen anything. It was fine.

              Mack caught up to him as he turned down the hall where his locker was, hooking an arm around David's neck and digging his knuckles into his head. "Sup, loser."

              "Get off me," David pushed him off and scowled at him. "You're going to wrinkle my shirt."

              Mack rolled his lips together and widened his eyes, pulling a face as he looked David up and down. "So you're too good for me now, is that it? I'm not enough for you anymore?"

              "Nah," David chuckled, opening his locker and tossing his bag in. "I just don't feel like getting shot by Ricky today."

              "I wouldn't shoot you, David," he heard Ricky's voice, and turned to see him with Rachael in tow. "I would just iron the shirt with you still in it."