"You're wrong, this child is my son and last time I checked I have full custody of him," I tell her as I press Wren closer to me. She freezes for a moment before pursing her lips in distaste.

"So you're the one that took him. Don't think you'll be keeping him. He will be coming back with me," she tells me.

"I don't know if you have a screw loose but under no circumstances will anyone let you take him with you. Now, I think it's best you leave before I call the police," I advise.

"Fine, don't think this is the last time you'll see me," she says as she moves towards the door before stopping beside me. She pauses for a moment, fingertips on the doorknob. "If you're wondering how I got bail posted, I think you should be familiar with the name Lorenzo," she says in a low voice. I feel my blood run cold when I hear the name. It's one thing after another with that man. She exits the office, slamming the door behind her. I can still feel Wren trembling in my arms and my hand runs through his hair.

"Next time could you not let her into the school? She may be his mother by blood but I currently have custody of Wren," I tell the secretary before turning to address Tricia. "I'm going to take this little guy home. Would you be able to get someone to cover for me for the afternoon?"

"You don't have to worry about it. If I'm not wrong, the supply teacher that was covering for one of the fifth-grade classrooms this morning is still here. I'll ask her to take over for the afternoon," Tricia says reassuringly. 

"Thank you so much. I'll email you tonight if we'll be in school tomorrow or not," I tell her. "Wren, we're going home," I tell him as we exit the office. He slowly unravels his hold on me and he takes my hand as we walk to the classroom. 

"Go put on your jacket and winter items," I tell him once I've unlocked the door. He slowly walks to the class closet as if he's in a daze. I quickly pack up my materials and leave the science package we were supposed to do today on my table with a small note detailing which sections I want my students to do.

"Charlotte, I'm ready," Wren says as he comes to stand beside me.

"Alright, let's go home," I tell him as I lead the both of us out of the class.  I shrug on my jacket and hat and take Wren's hand in mine. I leave the class door unlocked for when they come back later after lunch. We walk quietly out of the school and even in the car Wren is silent on the drive home. I park the car, unlocking both our doors, grabbing our bags before leading us to the house.

"Wren, what do you want to do?" I ask him when we step inside. I hang our jackets and place our bags beside the closet. He shrugs his shoulders silently and I can't help but feel like all the progress we've been making has just been destroyed.

"Why don't we watch a movie together and have a cup of hot chocolate? I suggest. He shakes his head again, and I can see his eyes are watering. This situation really shook him. I lead him to the living room, pulling him into my lap. "You can cry, Wren. I'm here." As soon as I say that, the dam breaks again and the room is filled with heart-wrenching sobs. I hold him just a little tighter and his crying is making me want to cry.

After roughly fifteen minutes or so, Wren's crying dies down until all I hear is his soft breathing. I glance down to find him sleeping, eyes and face puffy from the crying. I slowly lean over to the coffee table, grabbing a kleenex to wipe his face.

I let out a quiet sigh and move Wren so his head rests on my lap and grab the blanket we used last time to cover him up. I might as well get some rest while he sleeps. At the moment, I honestly don't want to leave him. I close my eyes and the last thing that runs through my mind is that I'll need to talk with the social workers.