Keeping the Stake at Bay

Cordelia was quite the story teller. Eve laid her head in her lap and closed here eyes as her lover's words transported her through the centuries, back and back and back in time – to Alisham Village, the west country, 1671.

Alisham Village loved a wedding—and they especially loved a wedding when the bride and groom were so beloved.

Brother Gregory, who'd kept them safe for years, was a well-known figure. They knew he travelled the country preaching and was often in London. The fleshpots were in dire need of his wise words, he told them.

But when he returned to Alisham, he always brought news – court gossip – and goods he'd bought there, wools, silk, spices, barrels of cider, wine and more. He dispersed this among the villagers, adding warmth and cheer to their lives.

His bride-to-be was a lot younger. At 20, Dorothea (known to everyone as Dottie) was less than half the age of her husband. But she was a sweet, kind girl who liked to visit all the villagers, comforting them in times of trouble, celebrating with them in times of plenty.

Brother Gregory promised the villagers all could attend his wedding. First, they would marry in the village church. Then, they would gather at his house, the biggest one in the village, where they would toast the bridge and groom with cider and eat with them. He would roast a pig for the occasion.

The wedding went smoothly. Everyone admired the bride, dressed in a simple shift, her hair loose under a veil, flowers woven through it. The groom's voice shook slightly as he said, "I do".

Back at his house, the villagers raised pewter tankards to their good health and future fruitfulness. Brother Gregory had stockpiled cider and it flowed freely. The suckling pig gave many of the villagers the best meal they'd had in months. As the day turned into the night, they fell away, falling fast asleep where they sat as good food and plentiful cider turned them soporific.

It was then that the vampire struck.

"He pursued me for years, Eve darling," she said, fingers stroking Eve's cheeks. Eve's eyes flickered open. Who liked the sound of pain in a dear one's voice? Not she!

"He was obsessed with me and obsessed with destroying me. I escaped him for years, but I knew he'd never give up, and when I saw the banns for the marriage posted on the church, I knew the time was right."

As she was feeling sentimental, she let him bed his bride first. He had been celibate for so long, so why not let him have a little fun beforehand? Hidden in the shadows, she watched, amused by how short a time it took him once he was inside Dottie. Three strokes, maybe four, and it was all over. Poor Dottie! He got up afterwards, telling his bride he'd fetch her a final cup of cider to aid her rest and he padded down the wooden stairs, stepping over the drunken, sleeping guests.

She followed him carefully, waiting until he was outside where the barrels had been left.

He turned slowly. "I know you're there."

Cordelia smiled at him—her best, full-on vampire smile that revealed the teeth in all their glory. Her eyes glittered. "You'll know what happens next, then."

He looked resigned. Perhaps the years of vampire hunting had taught him there was only ever going to be this death for him. Cordelia advanced, teeth bared, and arms outstretched. She had almost got hold of him, when he pulled out a stake hidden in the fur-lined robe he wore. Quick as a flash, he held it up, preparing to stab it straight through Cordelia's chest.

She grabbed the stake, using as much of her strength to hold it above the two of them, out of harm's way. Brother Gregory was stronger than most mortals. The stake moved closer, brushing her cheek its tip piercing her ear and making her cry out. A local, slumped on the wall outside, stirred briefly but didn't waken.