I took in this revelation for a moment. “We'll talk about all this after the hunt?” I asked.

Carlisle smiled. “Of course we will. We'll answer every question you have.”

“And we'll talk about how I got this way?” I asked tersely.

His smile faded, but he looked me squarely in the eye and agreed, and I was satisfied. For now.

I thought for a moment. Animals. Drinking the blood of animals. While the thought grossed me out, I guess if it wasn't that different from humans hunting animals for sustenance, I could handle it.

I sighed and nodded my acquiescence.

“Let's all go, Carlisle encouraged, taking my hand and leading me through the room to the sliding glass door that led to a wide deck in back of the house. Rosalie, who had looked slightly annoyed at the suggestion, reluctantly followed the rest to the door, and, as one, we raced down the lawn, leaped over the wide river, and disappeared into the trees.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Several hours later, I returned with the Cullens, as they called themselves, exhilarated and burn-free. Despite downing the blood of a bull moose and a deer, a faint tight sensation remained in the back of my throat, but it was nothing compared to the searing pain of earlier.

Once we arrived back at the house, I had to change as I had done a real number on my clothing. Standing on the back deck and frowning down at the rips and blood smears that ruined my knit pants and cashmere sweater, I felt ashamed. “I guess I could have done that more neatly,” I grumbled.

“Really, Bella, you did great for a first time,” Esme consoled me. Before she had finished speaking, Alice appeared in front of me, thrusting fresh clothing into my hands until she noticed that even my hands were blood-stained and dirty. She wrinkled her delicate nose, then said decidedly, “Shower first, then fresh clothing.”

“But I don't want to enter the house and get everything all gory,” I complained, contrasting my filthy self with their perfection after our hunting trip.

I guess I'll get better with practice, I sighed to myself.

Emmett was in front of me then, bowing deeply. “At your service, milady,” he smiled mischievously. Before I could fathom what he was up to, Emmett had scooped me, bridal-style, into his huge arms and absconded with me through the house and upstairs, halting at what seemed to be a door to a bathroom. Nudging open the door with his wide shoulder, he set me down on the tile floor. At least it looked easy to clean, I thought.

“There,” he said, pleased with himself. “No harm done.” He winked, then disappeared down the hallway. I hadn't seen Alice behind him until he left, but she waltzed into the sizable bathroom and laid fresh clothing on the marble counter top.

“Have a good shower,” she said cheerfully. “When you're done, come downstairs, and we'll chat.”

“Okay,” I shrugged. Alice smiled brilliantly at me, and I couldn't help but to return her smile. “Thanks, Alice.”

She waved her hand unconcernedly as she exited the bathroom. “See you in a few, Bella,” she called over her shoulder, shutting the door behind her.

Starting the shower, I quickly undressed and hopped in, eager to remove the blood and dirt. The Cullens were well-practiced in the art of hunting; not one of them tore their clothing, became blood-spattered, or ended up covered in forest dirt from wrestling a bull moose to the ground.