Chapter 4 ✰ Meeting

Flashback

Later that night I was about to go to sleep when Ruby called me.

'What's up?'

'Emma? Oh thank god, you're okay!'

Her worried response surprised me. 'What are you talking about?'

'You haven't seen it yet? It's everywhere, Emma. Turn on your TV right now! You and Killian are literally a trending topic!'

'What?'

'Oh Em... How did this get out?'

I sighed. 'I might have sort of maybe let it slip to a reporter...'

'A re-what?!' Ruby exclaimed in surprise

'Hold on, I'm turning on the news' I said as I walked toward my TV. 

'Breaking news! Man dime Killian Jones is making headlines for the second time this wake! LA's hot guy is not a bachelor anymore. But... who is the lucky lady? Emma Swan from Storybrooke, Maine. Killian's hometown' the newsreader said when one of my most horrible pictures appeared on the screen. 'Details about their relationship are unfolding now. How'd they met? How long have they been together? We've got the answers you want, just after this commercial break!'

'Ugh, they chose the worst pic of me!'

Ruby sighed. 'THAT was your biggest takeaway? This has gone too far, Emma. You have to come clean to everyone... Starting with Regina.'

I knew she was right. 'You're right, Rub. I have to rip off this band-aid.'

'Good luck, babe. You got this'

I ended the call and started to panic. I went to my text screen and started to type my message to Regina.

'Hey Regina! Lying about dating someone is pretty hilariously stupid, so I think you'll find it SUPER funny that I made everything about Killian up.'

I sighed. 'No that's not it...' but before I could change my message my phone started ringing.

'Ruby, I hope you're calling back with ideas because this is NOT going well.'

'Uh... is this Emma Swan?' I heard a male voice

'Yes...'

'I could've waited until after the commercial break but the suspense was totally killing me.' he said

I was in shock. 'Is this who I think it is?'

'Your boyfriend? Killian Jones?' 

Shame crept over me as I felt my cheeks flushing red. 'A..about that... I can explain'

'Sounds like a better story in person' he answered kindly. 'I heard Storybrooke High is sending you guys to LA for your Senior projects'

'Wait, YOU heard that?' I asked confused

He chuckled. 'What? I get alumni emails. Mr. Archie seemed VERY excited about the whole thing.'

'I take it Mr. Archie hasn't changed since you had him as your teacher'

'Sure sounds that way. You guys are staying at the same hotel I'm at, right?'

'Yeah...'

'If you can get there early, I'll help you make a game plan. I gotta get back on set but I'll see you tomorrow before your class gets here.'

That was when I became even more confused. 'Wait...' but he ended the call. 

Wednesday morning was absolutely horrible. The nerves were killing me and the time passed by very slow. I went through my texts and noticed a message from Ruby about what to wear. We ended up sharing some tips and I decided to wear ripped jeans, a beautiful dark top with white flowers and my black heels. 

When I arrived at the bus I tried to avoid everyone else and walked straight to Ruby. 'You don't have a plan yet?'

'Can't say that I do have one...'

And right when I thought it couldn't get any worse, Neal came by. 'Are you guys excited for LA?'

'Definitely. I love the city!'

He smiled as he scratched nervously behind his ear. 'Yeah, that and you get to see your... um, Killian, right?'

'Killian? Yeah, I'm excited to see him again'. It wasn't completely a lie. I was excited to see him, but it was actually just the first time.  

'Neal, can you come over here?' Regina yelled

The three of us turned around to look at her, while Neal scratched behind his ear. 'Duty calls. I guess I see you later.'

Ruby looked doubtfully to Neal who continued his way towards Regina before she turned around to face me again. 'Is it just me or did Neal seem bummed about you fake-dating Killian?'

I crossed my arms in front of me. 'Whatever. He's lost his chance. Got my eyes on a new prize now' I said as I started to giggle which caused Ruby to roll her eyes.

'Still. Maybe thinking they'd last until Fall Dance was generous.'

'Alright, everyone, onto the bus! We're outta here any minute now!' Mr. Archie yelled.

Everyone did as they were told and I started to panic. 'The bus is leaving now? Killian told me to get there early! He and I have to figure out a game plan. Now, what am I gonna do?'

'I guess he just has to wait...' Ruby said before we entered the bus as well.

'Nervous, Emma?' Regina asked before I took a seat. 

The drive to Los Angeles wasn't long, but thanks to my nerves it felt like we were on the bus for hours. After an hour we arrived at the Disston hotel. We waited in the lobby while Mr. Archie was checking us in.

'Where is he? Didn't you say he'd be here waiting for us?' Ruby whispered.

'I don't know! He does think I'll be arriving alone...' I hissed back.

In the meantime, Mr. Archie walked to the hotel clerk. 'I've got 33 rooms booked under Archie'

The hotel clerk looked doubtfully as she checked the system. 'Um, I'm only seeing you down for 32 rooms.'

'That must be a mistake. I booked 33 rooms'

'Actually, I had the reservation edited' a male voice came from a distance. It was him. Killian Jones.

'I hope nobody minds.' he added with a smile. 'I need to talk to someone in the group'

Regina's jaw dropped to the ground, including Ruby's and my own.

'Killian! So good to see you again!' Mr. Archie said as he patted Killian's back. 'But what do you mean?'

'I've been waiting here for one of your students. She and I are supposed to catch up. Alone.'

'That's a weird way to talk about someone you're dating...' I heard Belle whisper behind me.

'Maybe that's how you talk about someone you're NOT dating. Maybe Emma has some explaining to do.' Regina sneered.

'Emma? Wanna come with me?' sounded his angelic voice.

I followed him while I heard the rest of the group whispering.

Police station

 'Are you still with me, Detective? Because here's where things get interesting.' He nodded. I crossed my arms in front of me before I continued. 'I was following Killian Jones to his hotel room. And with that first step, the lies defining my life began to unravel.'