Late Night Tea

Your P.O.V:

I clutch the book tightly in my hands as I finished the last few pages. I was just finishing Misery by Stephen King and I wanted to read it again. Reading seems like the only thing I've been doing lately. My brother in on another  one of his attempts to send Gotham into an abyss of terror. This time he has teamed up with some dangerous characters like Jerome Valeska, Jervis Tetch, Oswald Cobblepot, and many others to take the city by storm, and dragging me along with him as always. Mr. Cobblepot provided his mansion as a hide out for the group which I know reside. I'm not apart of the group it's self, I'm more of a tag along. I told Johnny the first time he became 'The Scarecrow' that I wasn't having any part in his plan to hurt others. He understood and respected my wishes but still wanted me to tag along with him so he could protect me. So until I'm told otherwise I'm staying here. I mind my own business and keep to myself to avoid trouble, but all in all I was quiet bored most of the time. The only thing to do without getting in any ones way was to watch movies or read.  Mr. Cobblepot has a very nice variety of movies and books consisting mainly of horror, thriller and mystery. But I didn't mind considering that's all I like to read and watch. He let me use them as long as I returned them. So that's all I did.

Once I finished Misery I happily walked to the large study which was a beautiful room with a large wooden table, large windows with a piano in front of them, and the walls were riddled with books. I smile just thinking about it. I push the doors open and walk in only to stop dead in my tracks. In the study near the piano stood Jervis Tetch looking out the window. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to intrude . . . I'll come back later." I said shyly exiting the room. "There is no intrusion. Come in." He invited speaking with his hands behind his back. I gave him a small smile and re-enter the room.  "Can I help you with something, or did your brother send you?" He asked friendly. "No. I was just getting another book." I explained calmly. He smiled at me then waved his hand towards the book case in an after you type of manner, like he was entertaining for an audience. I quickly walk over to the book case returning misery and quickly searching for a book I already had in mind. Trying to find it quickly so I didn't waste anymore of his time. As I searched I could feel his strong gaze on me. My heart started to race. Not in a scared way but rather in a general nervousness. I tried to keep calm as I glanced through the shelf's finally finding the one. 'The Workings Of H.P. Lovecraft'. I smiled down at the book in my hands then I looked over at Jervis a little ways behind me. "Thank you." I said politely. "Anytime. . . If it involved imagination." He smiled warmly. "well, I'll leave you to your thoughts." I stated. He gave me a polite nod fair well and I turned and headed out of the study and to my room. However when I got to my room and started to read I noticed that my heart was still racing from for late of a better word being fluttering. I also found that while reading I had to take frequent breaks because I couldn't concentrate. My mind kept wondering away from the story in front of me and more towards the study, towards Jervis. The way he smiled at me and how it made me feel warm and comfortable. The way he looked at me and never taking his eyes off of me. With a sense of curiosity and interest. Oh what the hell are you thinking Y/n! That was just a random incounter and that's it. I'm reading to much into it. And besides he is an intelligent dangerous criminal that plays mind games. Just get a grip! I shake me head hoping that would help me snap back into reality and continued to read.

(Time Skip To You Sleeping Late At Night)

Third Person:

Y/n started to slightly thrash in her sheets once again as she made noises in her sleep. Y/n was having another nightmare yet again for the billionth time in a row. Just starting to be another routine in her life. She stopped tossing and turning and began to grip the bed sheets firmly, signalling that she was reaching the peak of her nightmare.

Your P.O.V:

My eyes shot open as I jolt awake. My heart was pounding in my chest but felt like it was in my throat. I quickly look around the room to see if I entered another dream. I couldn't tell so I pinched my arm. Good I'm awake. I closed my eyes and held my chest trying to calm myself down. Once I steady my breathing I look over at the clock on the night stand. 2:05 am, great. I threw the blanket's off me and proceeded to walk to the kitchen.

Once I got to the fairly large kitchen I decided to make tea, like I do every night after I have nightmares to calm my nerves. It always has to be apple cinnamon tea. It reminds me of the holiday's. Those little cinnamon heart candies Dad and Johnny liked so much and Mom's homemade apple pie. It just reminds me of happy times, before the fire, before all of this. As I waited for the kettle I leaned my still shaky hands on the counter and close my eyes. Take deep breaths trying to calm myself down. "My, my, what a puzzling surprise." I quickly turned around startled to see Jervis in the kitchen door way. I gave him a shy smile. "Oh sorry I didn't know anyone else was up . . . I was just making tea." I explained shyly. "May I join you?" He asked. "Of course. I hope you like apple cinnamon." "Any tea is good tea." He says taking a seat at the large kitchen island while I got the tea ready.

After the tea was ready we both sat at the kitchen island in silence seeping our tea. "So why are you up so late?" He asked putting down his cup. "I couldn't sleep." "Oh. Couldn't put down that book?" I chuckled slightly. "No, I finished that one." We both went silent not knowing what to say next. I looked down at my cup then back up at him to see him staring at me concerned. He reached out and grabbed my hand, gently holding it in his. "Why are you shaking dear? Do I scare you, or make you nerves?" He asked worried. "No. No. You don't scare me. . . I just had a really bad nightmare and I thought tea would help calm me down. To tell you the truth, I can't remember the last time I had a descent nights sleep." I explained. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked still holding my hand and rubbing it with his thumb. "I would like to if I could remember them. It's a different nightmare every night. I can never remember them after I wake up. I don't remember all of it but I do remember lot's of bodies. They were a light sky blue colour. They were . . . Oh I don't want to even think about it." I looked down at my cup and closed my eyes trying to shake the thoughts of my nightmare away. "It's ok. It's ok. Just breath. Is it from the books you read." "No. the books don't scare me at all. God you must think I'm mad." I said looking at him. "Your asking the wrong hatter dear. . . Yes I think your mad, but all the best people are." He stated lifting my chin up to look at him. We both smiled at each other and stayed that way for a while. Not daring to move out of fear of missing something. "So why are you up so late?" I asked. He took his hand away from my chin. "I want wondering if you were making tea again tonight." "You've been watching me?" "No. . . I um . . . " I looked at him puzzled then he continued. "I awoke a few times from creaking coming from the hallway outside my room. I would look and see you walking down the hall. At first I simply thought that you were going to the restroom but one night I got curious and followed you and saw you in the kitchen drinking tea and reading. Tonight I thought you could use some company." He explained then smiled. I smiled back. I suddenly felt a chill and rubbed my arms. He asked if I would like to move to the couch in front of the fire place while he made more tea. I obliged leaving him in the kitchen and going to make a fire in the fire place. Once the fire was going I wrapped myself up in a nice big blanket as Jervis came in with two fresh cups  of tea. He sat down next to me and we started to talk about anything and everything that we could thing of. What we liked, what we didn't, our memories. Just one topic leading to another. It was nice and it made me feel content for the first time in this house. As the hours went by I found myself in Jervis' arms warm and safe. But the next thing I new I was nudged awake by my brother standing in front of use as the light filled the room. "Breakfast is ready." He said before walking away into the kitchen with an unimpressed look on his face. I drowsily look up at Jervis to see him smiling down at me while I was still in his arms. He hugged me tightly before kissing my cheek. "How did you sleep?" "Great!" "Good. Now let's go get some breakfast." He said smiling getting up and taking my hand. He helped me to my feet then gave me a kiss on the cheek. Leading me to the kitchen soon after, not letting go of my hand. Realizing I was going to face everyone like this I stop in my tracks as I grow nervous and fearful. Jervis noticed and turned around to look at me. I didn't say a thing but looked worried at him. He smiled at me and embraced me in a hug. He was so warm and I couldn't help but feel safe. He kissed my forehead, pulled away slightly but still close enough to be in his arms and smiled at me. "Everything's going to be ok. I promise." He kissed me on the forehead again and grabbed my hand again leading me towards the kitchen. I squeeze his hand slightly trying to calm my nerves. Preparing to face everyone.