Chapter 13 - Icarus

Start from the beginning

A thousand thoughts crossed Mirela's mind. That was the craziest story she ever heard and maybe Clara would be safer away from Daniel. Yet, Nana was the most honest and wise person she knew.

"We have to find Clara before she does something stupid." stated Mirela. "If that is the part she remembers, she won't be around you or anyone else here."

Suddenly everyone looked at each other understanding how bad the situation was. Daniel and Mirela hurried off in the same direction as Nana tried to follow them in the slowest pace. The rain was heavy outside, and the corridors were crowded, slowing them.

They arrived at the dormitory where Mirela immediately headed for the small closet with bad feelings.

"Clara ran away," she turned to Daniel showing the inside of the wardrobe almost empty. "And took my stuff!"

Daniel strode into the small room, searching, trying to find out where she might have gone. His eyes searched the room when a piece of paper, under one bed, caught his attention. He picked it up, unfolded it and saw it was a map drawn with charcoal of the whole cell complex.

"She must have drawn it." Mirela stood next to him and looked over the detailed map. "What is this?" she asked, pointing to a spot next to the cafeteria, identified with an X.

Daniel glanced up from the paper with a twinkle in his eyes that Mirela had not seen since he'd approached her on the training field.

"That's where she must have gone." He smiled proudly. "She is smart."

"What is this place? Where does it end? Mirela did not even know there was that corridor after the kitchen.

"The old garbage. It was used to discard the rubbish, but obviously it has not been used since the great epidemic. This place goes to an old street, understand?"

Then Mirela understood. Yes, Clara was smart. She knew the Cell much better than her who had lived there all along.

"Where are you going?" she asked Daniel, who was walking to the door and only gave a 'what do you think' look. "But how do you know which way she went?"

"With this storm, she'll not be able to go so far away and will need a shelter."

Daniel looked out the window with such confidence that Mirela did not understand. Did he have superpowers? It would be like finding a needle in a haystack! She tried to say it, but when she looked again, Daniel was gone.

 Did he have superpowers? It would be like finding a needle in a haystack! She tried to say it, but when she looked again, Daniel was gone

Clara walked for a few hours until she found the hidden house. The same place she had been in the days before she was attacked. It was the same way she'd left it the night she'd gone to the village, the remnants of the fire now soaked by heavy rain, just as the bottle that was dropped around.

It was amazing how close she had been to the Cell in those days, but it had never crossed her mind that there was a complex like that. Nana was right: it was a place whose location remained unknown to anyone and especially, to the Government.