Chapter 13 - Icarus

"Did you see Clara?" Daniel inquired when he found Mirela practicing shooting in the field.

"No, since you ran after her. I thought you were together"

The girl laid the gun on the bench while staring at him. Daniel was worried. But why? Mirela was sure there was more story than Nana had told her about Daniel having met Clara after an attack by troopers. Hundreds of questions swirled in her mind. Why he was there if the camp was far from the village? Why bring her secretly?

"What did you do this time?" she was sharp, narrowing her eyes to read the guy's thoughts.

"I promise I'll tell you later. But please, I need your help to find Clara."

"All right. I'll look at the places I know she hangs out for," she said and ran out into the building.

Mirela looked for her in the courtyard where she stayed with the children, but they told her they had not seen her that day. She went to the auditorium, cafeteria, locker room, all the places she could remember, even in the unused wing, but nothing. Clara was nowhere.

She went back down the hall to the infirmary where Nana and Daniel were.

"I've looked everywhere for her, even in the auditorium where she usually stays with the children, but I didn't find her."

Both women stared at Daniel as waiting for an answer.

"I think you'd better tell me exactly what happened, Daniel," Mirela demanded, crossing her arms and staring at him.

He hesitated, looking to the women waiting for an explanation he seemed to debate whether he could give. That hesitation caused Mirela to nudge her arm while making a gesture of 'we're waiting'. After a long sigh, he finally said:

"She remembered the night I met her."

Why was he being so careful to talk about it? Should not he be glad she finally remembered something?

"And?" Mirela arched an eyebrow. She felt deep inside she might not like the remaining story.

"The trouble is, she only remembered the part where I... I..." he hesitated, examining Mirela, as measuring the words. "I attacked her."

"You what?!"

"Calm down! I didn't mean to hurt her, Mirela! I swear!" Daniel stepped back when she lunged at him, even with Nana between them.

"Are you insane?" cried Mirela, unbelieving and again trying onslaught against Daniel. What's wrong with him? How could he lie to Clara all this time? How could he take advantage of her memory loss? What did he want with that? It was too cruel even for the Governor!

"Calm down, my dear," Nana said, taking her by the shoulders and making Mirela stare at her. "Let him explain"

There was a glint in her eyes. When she calmed down, put some distance between them and with folded arms, waited for the explanation.

"I didn't mean to hurt her, Mirela." and with a sorry smile, Daniel continued: "And I couldn't, even if I had the chance."

"Why not?"

He stared at her, his eyes bright in emotion and declared, letting his arms drop to his sides:

"Because she's my wife, Mirela."

"Your... what?" said the girl, gaping and her eyes so wide she was sure they could jump out of their sockets any moment. "But... she... died three years ago, didn't she?"

Nana explained briefly what happened that night. "It seems that Clara didn't remember everything but Daniel grabbing her. We don't know what she can do..."