7

Practice drags on and I'm about to fall asleep until coach blows the whistle and screams that practice is over. Some of the guys huddle together talking but most walk to the showers. The girls who have all lined up to watch the guys practice quickly get up and leave, having gotten enough of the rain and cold.

Tasha drags me down the bleachers and onto the field, making her way to the small group of guys. I recognize Alexander and Jason immediately, even though their standing with their back to me.

They're talking with Dave and Shane I realize when getting closer. Natasha sneaks up behind Jason, tickling him in the sides of his stomach. Jason lets out a high-pitch scream, making me and some of the other guys laugh.

"Don't sneak up on me like that!" He pulls on Tashas hands and engulfs her in a big hug.

"Ugh stop you're all sweaty!" She tries to squirm away but it's useless.

"That's what you get for tickling me and making me scream like a girl," he says, releasing her from the hug but still holding one hand around her. Tasha raises her brows.

"And what's wrong with screaming like a girl?"

Jason smirks. "Nothing, but I prefer it when you're the one doing the screaming."

I immediately start laughing and so do the other guys. Tashas eyes bulge and her cheeks tint. She slaps his chest lightly, gasping. "Jason!"

"What?" He looks at her innocently. Tasha rolls her eyes but she has this quiet happiness written all over her face when she looks at him.

"Dork."

Alexander, Jason and Shane quickly resume their conversation about tomorrows game.

"So," Dave says, catching my attention. He smiles brightly at me. "You still coming to the game tomorrow, right?"

I try not to visibly cringe when he singles me out. "I'm really sorry, but I can't. Someone called in sick at work and I needed to step in." I try to say it with as much regret as possible.

The smile he had on earlier visibly dims and I want to punch myself. It looks like I just told him his puppy got hurt or something, but he quickly recovers.

"No worries. You have any other plans for the night?"

Please don't ask me on a date. I smile. "Not really," I say.

Only now do I realize the others have become quiet. I become awkwardly aware of their stares as well but try to keep it cool. Jason and Shane are casually listening in it seems, and Tasha is looking intrigued yet worried. I can feel the tension rolling off Alexander in waves though, but he's deathly calm.

"I'm having a party after we win."

I nod stiffly. "Oh." I don't know how to respond. It wasn't exactly an invitation but he looks at me expectantly either way. He seems a bit disapointed by my response.

He laughs a little, looking at me with that dorky smile of his again. "You should come. I think Natasha here is going with Jason. Right?" He looks to Tasha.

"Uhm, yeah. I think so," she responds, looking at Jason for confirmation.

"We're going," he says.

"Is everyone here going?" I ask.

Shane nods. I look at Alexander but he only shrugs his shoulder.

"I'll definitely think about it. Thanks for the invite," I say, trying to look like I actually am going to consider it.

Jason smiles a little wider. "Great! I hope I'll see you there. I gotta' go guys. See you later." He turns around and jogs towards the locker rooms, leaving a weird silence in the group left standing.