“I don’t blame you, Gemma.” The familiarity of his voice shocks me. He pulls his hood back slightly so I can see him better and I can tell that he’s been crying. “It wasn’t your fault. You were hurt too.”

            I shake my head, the tears already threatening my eyes. Avoiding his gaze, I stare at the pavement instead.

            “You should.”

            “Do you really believe that this was your fault?” He asks, grabbing my shoulder. Gently, he turns me to face him. “Because it’s not. You couldn’t have changed the outcome. You weren’t the one driving, the one who killed her.” The tears begin to flow and I can’t tear my eyes away from Mellissa’s father. “You shouldn’t fill guilty for living when Mellissa didn’t, Gemma. You should be thankful that at least you survived. She would want that.”

            He doesn’t let go of my shoulder but instead gives it a reassuring squeeze. He had always been like a second dad to me, but after the accident, I just couldn’t face him. I was at the funeral, but ever since I just couldn’t see him or his wife after that.

            “I know you’re dealing with a lot right now. With the loss, and other issues, but just know that Mellissa’s mother and I want you to get over this. We don’t blame you, in fact, we’re thankful that if we couldn’t be the ones who were with her in her last moments, that it was you.”

            He wraps me in a tight hug but I still don’t respond, or even bother to hug him back. There’s something scratching the surface, a memory that I can’t place exactly, but I know that it makes me nervous to be around him.

            Mellissa’s father leaves without another word and I’m finally alone on the deserted street. If I thought that facing him was what I came here to do, I was wrong. Now is when the real hell begins; where I start to relive the nightmare.

            Sucking in a deep breath, I make my way to the middle of the street, checking for cars. I close my eyes as I step into the exact spot that I was when the accident happened. When I open my eyes, I see Mellissa standing beside me, laughing. The scene quickly turns back to the empty pavement but I replay the memory in front of me like I’m watching a movie.

            She steps out as we walk across the street and then I hear the screeching. Even though it isn’t real, it’s so loud in my mind that I want to cover my ears. I reach for Mellissa’s hand, wanting to pull her towards me but it’s too late. She screams as the car comes towards us. Now, I want to jump out of the way, but my feet refuse to budge. Maybe it’s because I know I won’t be facing it if I change the memory, or maybe it’s because I really am frozen in place.

            I watch in horror as Mellissa gets hit first and before I can scream, I brace myself for impact, expecting the car to hit me. But just as real as it feels, the car goes through me and then it’s over. I don’t go flying, there’s no pain throughout my body. I’m not even on the ground.

            I brush the scar on my hand as I take a few steps toward my next place. Blinking away fresh tears, I lower myself onto the pavement and lie down, staring up at the rain clouds. The drops pelt my face but I ignore them. They feel too distant for me to care about getting wet as I turn onto my side.

            A faint, almost see-through memory of Mellissa lies on the ground, unmoving. In my head I scream for her as I drag myself towards her. When I’m beside her, I reach out for her but she disappears and my hand grasps nothing.

            “Dead,” I whisper to myself, my voice hoarse from crying. “She’s really dead.”

~~~

            “Are you okay?” My father asks softly, gently touching my shoulder. I nod and look away, trying to get rid of the tears that refuse to stop falling. “I have to go into work quick. Something went wrong and I have to fix it. Will you be okay on your own for a little while?”

            I nod again as we pull into the driveway. Grabbing my coffee, I lean over and he gives me a kiss on the cheek.

            “See you soon, Gems. I’m proud of you.”

            I can’t help but smile to myself as I step out into the rain again. Thunder booms overhead as I rush up the steps, waving to my dad as he drives away. Happy to be out of the rain, I step into the house and shut the door behind me. With downcast eyes, I take off my raincoat and head up the spiral staircase, wanting to change out of my soaking clothes.

            I’ve just stepped into my room when I notice that someone is there waiting for me. My mouth falls open as they stand up off my bed and take a few steps towards me.

            “Hello, Gemma,” Kirsten smirks, stopping a few feet away. “Long time no see.”

A/N: I've entered this in the Watty Awards under Teen Fiction so PLEASE vomment! It would mean a lot! :) I hope you like it so far!