14. Courier

The Happy Days Homeless Shelter was a small building out by New Reno, in the remnants of a schoolhouse. Elise Geroux started this facility when she was twenty, and had managed to make quite a name for herself.

And With Happy Days as a success, Maria and Ray moved from their manor to the shelter to help Elise with her job.

___

The first set of troublemakers were a small gang of around five or six. Bikers, from the looks of their leather jackets and obnoxiously loud motor bikes parked outside the building. One such Biker was a curious woman named Ace Sanchez.

She slept on a couch in the main entertainment room instead of in a bed, snoring softly with an arm thrown over her eyes and legs crossed to make room for whoever was sitting on the couch with her.

Around three in the morning, Elise was making her way through security rounds, making sure no one was stealing anything. She found Ace and gently roused the gang member, who gave her an easy, sleepy smile when she awoke.

"Buenos días, Miss Geroux."

"Bonjour, Miss Sanchez," Elise bit back in her own language, and Ace chuckled, "Yeah, yeah I got it. Sorry, not really used to speaking English."

"Your accent sure is better than mine, and I've been speaking English for around... thirty years."

"Impressive. My family's one of those 'keep your roots alive' ones, so we speak Spanish with each other. It's probably not even the same Spanish from before the War."

"Is that why you've joined a gang? To rebel against them?"

Elise managed to wipe that smile off of Ace's face, and she blinked a few times before sighing, "Yeah, I guess."

"I've seen enough kids around here to know what's happened. I'm not going to pry anymore unless you want to talk about it. That's what I'm here for."

"What, were you a therapist before leaving wherever you're from?"

"Actually, I was a translator for tourists in Baton Rouge for about three years. I was one of the only people in the city to speak both French and English. But I was run out of town by the mayor and his now-dead wife."

"What the hell? Why?"

"I killed their son."

Ace hummed, nodding, "Yeah, that'll piss anyone off."

"2279's almost here, huh?" Elise said after a moment of silent. Ace nodded, "Yeah, seems like time's just flying by."

"What is your gang actually doing here, Ace?"

Ace gulped, then looked away from Elise, "Well, I just... you know... I mean. We're not in any danger or anything. We just needed a place to stay while I... recover from surgery."

Elise nodded, "Ah, okay."

"I'm transgender."

"I... know that, Ace. So am I."

Ace blushed, "Sorry, I mean, I didn't, I-"

"Ace, relax. I'm not offended."

"Good, neither am I."

Elise sighed, gently patting the other girl's leg, "I'll let you get back to sleep. Bonne nuit."

"Yeah, um, buenas noches." She cleared her throat and closed her eyes again. Elise stood up and began to patrol the building again.

___

Elizabeth stumbled into the Shelter three years after Ace began working there. January of 2281 was spent watching over Elise's newest patron.

Elizabeth managed to get a job with the Mojave Express and needed a place to stay while she waited for new packages to run.

She had excitedly told the caretakers there about Hopesville and the canyon around it, explaining the NCR supply lines running through and the people around making it their home.

"I used to live near a Legion supply line," Was the only information they got out of her. She seemed to keep to herself, wanting others to talk about themselves more.

While Ace was into girls, she wasn't particularly attracted to Elizabeth. She decided that they should be friends, and Elizabeth happily agreed.

___

In September 2281, Elizabeth got a job delivering a chip to New Vegas. Ace, having developed a friendship, accompanied her to Primm to pick up the package. Elizabeth received her contract and the package, then was sent out to deliver it as soon as possible.

Out near the highway, Elizabeth stopped and pulled the delivery out of her pocket, then studied the contract.

"What is it?" Ace drawled. Elizabeth hummed, "Looks like it's a poker chip made out of platinum," she eyed the chip, looking it over and feeling the smooth, cold metal between her fingers.

"Platinum used to be really expensive back before the War, you better be careful where you flash that thing."

Elizabeth laughed, "I'm pretty sure no one's gonna kill me for a chip."

They split off at the highway, Ace returning to Happy Days and Elizabeth on her way to New Vegas.

___

The Mojave Desert was a mystical place at night. As the sun lowers behind the mountains, there's a certain softness that it plains the sky; pink and blue and purple fade together in a way that can take your breath away in mere moments.

Coyotes and rattlesnakes emerge from their dens, searching for prey. The night begins to cool the boiling landscape and various insects make their songs heard all throughout the night.

It's peaceful.

Elizabeth's footfalls are quiet despite her hulking frame and rattling gear, stirring up the nearby wildlife and dust settles around her, sticking to her dark, sweaty skin. Just a few more miles and she's done with her job.

The lights of Vegas are in view.

She never got to see them up close.