chapter 12

"Mr. Styles is awake."

The minute Louis heard those words, the world around him tuned out. He felt like his body was frozen, his hand almost loosing grip of the phone. It felt like his heart was going to leap out of his chest, and placed a hand over his mouth.

"I..."

"Hello? Mr. Tomlinson?"

"I.. yes, I'll be right there!"

After paying, Louis quickly rushed out of the building, hands fumbling to reach over in his pockets to yank his car keys out. He scrambled in and turned on the car, his breathing fast. He felt so light, like he could fly.

Harry was finally awake.

It felt like a light switch turned on inside him, his face looking somehow brighter than before, and his eyes glistened. He felt so happy, he tried to repress the tears already taking shape in the corner of his eyes. He was awake!

He wanted to scream to the world, Harry Styles is finally awake! But people were already starting to look at him weird through his car window, as he fist bumped the air.

He hoped he wouldn't be pulled over as he pressed the gas and went a little over the speed limit and probably ran a red light. But for good measure, of course. He wanted to be the first one to see Harry awake before anyone else was contacted.

Cars honked at him and slammed their breaks as he sped past, probably earning some very well deserved stink eyes and cuss words. He could barely care though, he was practically floating.

Shit, he didn't even have time to get presents for him. But hopefully the roses by Harry's bed would be enough to at least earn himself a smile. Flowers are pretty damn expensive, okay.

When he finally got to the hospital, (somehow without being pulled over for probably almost crashing like five times, how the hell is he even still alive) he bolted inside and ignored people's lingering gazes as he reached to the counter and introduced himself hastily. The lady at the desk granted him access to visit, and Louis recalled his hospital number in his mind before fast pacing to the room.

The doors were sprung open as a nurse walked in and out, delivering some IV fluid. A doctor was already besides Harry, writing things on her clipboard. The counselor lady wasn't here.

The doctor was the one that worked on Harry since he was permitted, and always gave Louis regular updates of Harry's condition. Just that he was alive and that he may wake up soon, which was always music to his ears. Yet he always had a fear in the back of his mind that Harry would never wake up, but today was the day he could finally push that struggle away. Because psych brain, you were wrong!

The next fear that slipped into his mind was Harry's likeliness of going to rehab which was something Louis tried really hard to ignore. If Harry was a real alcoholic, like he was years ago, maybe rehab would be a good choice. But this was just a slip up, and Louis knew that. A "relapse" to word professionally, and surely there are different options? But he wasn't gonna brush it aside as just an accident either, worried it could happen again (which of course he'd make sure it wouldn't).

He thought about counseling, like Louis is doing now. But Harry may refuse to get help or even insist he's okay, which Louis could very well see past that. He overdosed, even if it was an accident, it was a medical scare that Louis can't bare to go through again, for his and Harry's sake. Just seeing him in that condition killed him on the inside, and he wanted Harry to be himself again.

The doctor smiled at Louis, "He said your name the minute he woke up."

Louis' face softened, "Is he alright?"