chapter 11 -

"Young boy, 21, acute alcohol intoxication. Transporting to the ER."

A car pulls up and slams on the brakes. The door is thrown open as a man jumps out and rushes past the ambulance parked right outside the house. EMT's roll out a stretcher from the house, someone strapped in and clinging for dear life. An oxygen mask is securely placed over their face, obscuring their appearance.

"He's slipping in and out of consciousness."

"HARRY!" a voice screams.

The paramedics load the stretcher inside the back of the ambulance quickly. The man rushes to the EMT's and frantically introduces himself. They give him a nod as he crawls into the back of the ambulance with the man on the stretcher, holding his hand gently. He bows his head as tears escape his eyes and a sob leaves his throat. The ambulance doors are slammed shut and the sirens proceed to wail, the vehicle speeding off.

Behind them, police put up caution tape around the house and orders everyone to go home. The music stop, the neon lights are off, and the many empty bottles of booze litter the grass.

The party is over.

***

The EMT's shout as they roll the stretcher inside the hospital, everyone moving out of the way. They roll it into an empty room, fitting him in a hospital gown before placing him on the bed. They hook him up to the IV and his heart rate is regulated. His breathing is shallow and his eyes are shut.

In the waiting room, a man is shouting frantically at the receptionist.

"Sir, you have to calm down."

"HE'S DYING! I HAVE TO SEE HIM," he screams, "PLEASE!"

"Sir, if you don't calm down we're going to have to ask you to leave."

Tears stream down his face as he balls his fist. He begrudgingly takes a seat, anxiety flooding him as he  bounces his leg. He bows his head and puts his hands in a prayer, closing his eyes. He has never prayed before but he is desperate. He fears the worst, and regret is eating his insides. If he doesn't see him, he'll never forgive himself. He needs to see him. His life depends on it.

After a few minutes, the receptionist allows him to pay a visit. He runs past her before she could finish, and finds his room number. He almost collapses seeing his best friend in the hospital bed, his eyes are closed and his breathing is hitched as if he was fighting for his life.

He stands by his side, holding his cold hand, and rubbing his thumb over it. He whispers words to him and his bottom lip quivers. He holds out his free hand to brush the hair from his friend's face, willing to give anything to see those beautiful green eyes open again. He has to wake up.

Tear drops fall on their intertwined hands, and he leans over to place a gentle kiss on his forehead. He kneels down and puts their hands to his forehead, closing his eyes and praying more.

"You mean the world to me," the man whispers.

"I can't be here without you. Please, I need you."

After a few minutes, a doctor walks in. The man stands up and braces himself for any news.

The doctor shakes his head and tells him of his condition. The man almost falls onto his knees and instead covers his face with his hands. The doctor gives him a minute before leaving the room again, the room feeling more colder than it was before.

The man stays by his side the rest of the night, before the nurses eventually had to force him out. They say he can visit once day, and so he does.