Chapter 3: Lilah

When I finished with my book, I heard Dad stumbling about the house. It continued for a while until I heard a huge thud on the wall. I groaned and threw my book down on my bed. I opened my door and marched into his room.

   "Dad, what the hell are you doing?" I asked when I saw him looking under his bed. He brought out a small jar with money in it.

   "I'm going to the LeBlanc Casino tonight. I'm gonna win some good money," he said, opening the jar and shoving money into his pockets.

   "You say that every time."

   "This time will be different."

   "You say that every time, too."

   "Sweetheart, don't you trust Daddy?"

   "No."

   He gave me a hurt look but I didn't care.

   "This time, I promise sweetheart, everything will be different. I'll win a lot of money then I'll go to the corner store and buy lottery tickets. I'll fix everything!"

   "Dad, LeBlanc Casino is exclusive."

   He shook his head. "No. Everyone can get in. Only the clubs are exclusive. I can still gamble and do the slots."

   "Isn't the casino owned by some stuck up rich guy?"

   "Alastair LeBlanc?" He offered.

   "Whatever. Didn't he just buy Google?"

   "Yes. So that means the prize money will be bigger!"

   The only way to get the million  dollar prize money was to gamble against the rich brat himself.

   "Your gonna gamble with him? Dad its not gonna work out," I whined as I followed him into the bathroom. He found a few coins in the drawers then shooed me out into the hall.

   "Yes it will! I'll fix everything!"He cried and rushed past me.

   I rolled my eyes and followed him down the hall. He put on his shoes and smiled.
He kissed my cheek. "I'll fix everything pumpkin!"

   And just like that, he was out the door and running to the heart of the city. I sighed. I hated staying at the house by myself at night so I decided to go change and have a night out. Maybe I'd meet a nice guy. Maybe get some money.

   I went to my room and changed into a black mini skater skirt, tan wedge heeled ankle boots, white knee high socks, and a white sweater. I combed my hair and did my makeup.

   I didn't own much so it was cheap drugstore eyeliner, mascara, and nude pink lipstick

   I didn't own much so it was cheap drugstore eyeliner, mascara, and nude pink lipstick. I grabbed my little purse with $30 (which I kept hidden from Dad) in it and grabbed my little flip phone. It didn't work but it could call 911 if needed.

   I didn't bother to lock up the house because there wasn't anything to steal. I turned on my heel and made my way into the cool night, hoping for some fun and some money for food.

Daniel Robert Williams