"What?" Remus asked, clueless to the conversation.

Snickering at Remus, Sirius turned back to Peter and said, grinning, "See the sort of fun you'll miss if you don't come along?" He drew his wand, tapped Peter's rucksack, which hung on the edge of the nightstand, and commanded, "Pack!"

"No, no, not pack," Peter said, and he caught a book flying for the rucksack in midair. "I mean it, Padfoot, I can't go camping right now." He caught two shirts and a pair of trousers from going into the rucksack.

Sirius sat up. "But it's a Marauder's camping experience. Like the old times. You remember how we used to go camping all of the time and we haven't in a good long while."

"Yes, of course I do, but --"

"So. Pack!" Sirius tried again and the trousers tried to tug way from Peter's hands.

"I -- CAN'T!" Peter shouted and he yanked the trousers out of the air, drew his wand, and aimed at the rucksack. "Finite incantantum."

Remus said, "Look, if it's because your dad is worried about you, we could talk to him - assure him that you'll be with us... remind him you're coming of age and he can't really say whether you go or not..."

Peter's round face turned quite pink. "I JUST DON'T WANT TO GO ALRIGHT? IS THAT A CRIME? I DON'T WANT TO, SO LEAVE ME ALONE." Tears filled his eyes even as he did shouted the words, and they ran down his face, hot and wet, leaving great streaks beneath his eyes.

Sirius looked at Remus, dumbfounded. "But Wormtail --" he started, turning back to him, before Remus cut him off.

"Sirius, give it up. If he doesn't want to come, he doesn't have to come."

"But --"

"Sirius." Remus's voice was sharp. Peter covered his face. "He said he can't come, let it be." He studied Peter a moment, then, "If you change your mind..." he reached into his jumper pocket and produced one of the two pieces of mirror. He handed it to Peter. "Here."

Peter took the mirror and sniffed. "Really?"

"Yes," Remus said. "Just let us know and one of us - probably Sirius, as he can disapparate - will come and get you. Alright?"

Peter nodded, clutching the mirror.

"Or even if you just want to... to talk." Remus was studying Peter very hard.

Peter nodded - a hiccup escaped him.

Remus turned to Sirius, "Come on. Let's go."

Sirius stood up. "Wormy you're sure --"

"SIRIUS," Remus said, "Let's go." Sirius stared at Peter a long moment, then stiffly turned and let the room. Remus sighed and followed, pausing in the doorway. "Happy Birthday early, Peter, in case I don't get to tell you on the day of."

Peter nodded, "Thanks Moony." He looked down at the mirror in his hands. "Thank you."

Remus nodded, and he left the room.

Peter dropped the book, two shirts, and the trousers onto the floor, hugging the mirror to his chest, and he sat down on the bed, more miserable than ever, staring at the blackness of the mirror, unsure whose rucksack he was staring into, but comforted that the other side was connected in some way to one of the other three. He rubbed his wrist and listened until he heard the CRACK out the window that told him the other two had left.

CRACK!

Remus and Sirius landed in the yard behind the old Dumbledore house, right at the line of the trees. Remus stumbled and fell to his bottom a couple feet away, looking rather nauseated, eyes slightly crossed. Sirius tripped, too, but managed to catch himself on a tree. "Oi I'm sorry, that was rough," he said, and he saw Remus had tipped over and hurried over. "Are you alright?"