十五: Dressed To Perfection

It had been a week since I'd come out to my mom, and also a week since Chan asked me to go to the ball with him. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, because of it.

And now, the day had come. The winter ball would be at the college tonight, and I would be going with Chan. It made my stomach flutter wildly for some reason, I suppose it was the fact that nearly everyone in his college would know about us.

Hani, Jaeran, and Conii had come over early to help get us ready and vice versa, insisting we all needed to look our best. Mom had also insisted we get ready earlier than we originally had planned, saying that she wanted about a thousand photos before we left. Of course, as usual, Chae groaned at the thought of pictures.

"We all know I'm ugly, I don't need it in photo proof!" Chae had whined, a charcoal bubble mask still thick on her face as Hani tried to paint her nails. Needless to say, she'd definitely need to clean them up around the edges.

"Your mom is going to get photos regardless of how much you complain, and if we down, we go down together." Jaeran said as he poked his head out of the bathroom, still in the middle process of styling his hair.

Chae just groaned as there was a muffled commotion in Chae's room.

"Um, Jae, I think I put on your pants..." Conii called out, earning a groan and slur of mumbled curse words as Jae put down his hair products to help Conii out of his pants.

Chae and Hani shared a look before they burst into laughter, Hani accidentally painting a streak of red up Chae's hand, to which they both laughed harder.

"I'm not made for these types of things!" Hani wheezed out, putting the nail polish up as mom shook her head at them, retreating into the kitchen.

"And you think I am?" Chae asked through her near tears, still laughing a little. "I play Dungeons and Dragons as a hobby, I wasn't made for these things either."

"Then why are we going?" Hani whined out, tossing herself down on the couch only to let ot a howl of pain, as the curlers in her hair dug into her scalp a little.

"Because Johnny asked you to," I say pointing at Hani. "and because you want to show up in a bright red dress and make everyone feel awkward." I say as I point to Chae, she simply nods in return.

"You right, fam." She says wistfully as Jaeran re-emerges from her room, his hair a little disheveled.

"I can safely say that Conii and I have reached a new level of friendship." He says before returning to the bathroom to continue fixing his hair as Hani and I laugh.

Eventually (with little to help from Mom, as she kept trying to sneak photos of us) we were all done getting dressed. Conii had insisted on doing my makeup, to which Jaeran had insisted on doing my hair, slicing it up to show my forehead off more than I usually let it.

"Oh, my baby is all grown up!" Mom said dramatically as she threw her arms around me, squeezing me tightly as I just sighed. She pulled away, kissing my forehead. "Ugh, makeup makes you look too grown up!" She whines, only to be chuckled at by Chae who walks into the living room in her red qipao, a nude undershirt covering all if her tattoos up.

She seems to notice me staring at it too, because she just chuckles.

"I love my tattos, but they aren't exactly suitable for a formal event." She says with a chuckle as a knock is heard at the door. "I'll get it."

Conii makes a last minute adjustment to my tie as a six foot giant steps into our living room.

"Hi, Johnny hyung." I say, waving as he smiles back at me.