28

Evelyn and Will crept behind a stone wall, pressing their backs and the palms of their hands against the cold stone. They glanced at each other and looked over past the wall. They stared down at the group of towns people and soldiers standing in front of the post where Jack Sparrow was to be hanged. Turning back, they both looked at each other. "So what's the plan?" Evelyn asked looking up at Will.

Will fixed his hat on his head. "I'm not sure." He looked down at her. "I was just going to walk through and save Jack from hanging but I need a diversion."

"Leave that to me." Evelyn smiled. Excitement and nerves bubbled in her belly. She hasn't felt this excited since she first left Port Royal with Jack and Will.

"Are you sure?" Will asked, the corners of his mouth turned up at her smile.

Evelyn nodded her head in response. "Yes I'll figure out something." Evelyn started thinking of possible diversions in her head as she slid back off the wall to fully face Will.

"Good, are you ready?" He asked her, his eyes studying her face.

"Yes." Evelyn playfully rolled her eyes at his concern.

"Do you have your sword?"

Evelyn pat her sword at her side. The blade and the belt rest on top of her pantone colored gown she changed into. As her smile fade, Evelyn looked at Will. "Will?" Will hummed in response. Evelyn grabbed his hands in her small, fragile ones. "Please be careful." She said in all seriousness yet still so small.

Will smiled and leaned down to press a comforting kiss on her forehead. Evelyn closed her eyes to savor the feeling of his lips pressed against her skin. The warm spot of his lips turned cool as he pulled away. "I will." He breathed out, his eyes pouring into hers. "You be safe as well."

Evelyn grinned. "Aren't I always?" Playfully rolling his eyes, Will turned around and let go of her hands. He looked down the stone tunnel and saw Jack standing on the stage listening as they read the list of crimes he was guilty of committing. Evelyn peered down the tunnel as well and saw Elizabeth, Governor Swann, and Commodore Norrington standing at the end. An idea popped into her head. Biting the inside of her cheek, she walked around Will. "Where are you going?" He whisper yelled to her her. Evelyn turned around to look at him as she walked. "I got an idea!" Turning around, Evelyn walked down the tunnel head on. Her eyes narrowed as the sun shined in their view. The sound of drumming filled her ears, growing louder and louder the closer she got. She turned the sword around so it was behind her as she reached the group closer. The closer she got, the more soldiers she saw beside them. Her stomach clenched in anxiety.

"Excuse me, Governor Swann?" Evelyn's sweet voice called to the man. Governor Swann, his daughter, and the Commodore all turned around.

"Miss. Adams! What are you doing here? Have you come to see the execution." Evelyn didn't miss when Elizabeth winced at the mention of the execution.

Evelyn looked at her before perking up slightly, looking back at the governor. "Yes, sir, I am. May I please speak to Elizabeth?" Evelyn asked, clasping her hand in front of the skirt of her dress. Her eyes flickered to Elizabeth's suspicious narrowed eyes.

"Of course you may!" The Governor smile, pressing a hand on his daughters back. Elizabeth glanced at her father as she readied her gown to walk away from the men. She turned her head and looked at Evelyn for a moment. She walked off as Evelyn followed after her, turning her sword around her so he didn't see. "Oh and Miss. Adams?" The Governor called to her. Evelyn glanced at the man. "I am so sorry that your marriage with Mr. Thompson didn't work out." The Governor added, clasping his hands behind his back.