A Slow Day

It wasn't easy. It never is. It takes every single bit of strength out of you.

But I still did it. I had to.

I sit down on one of the small white stools that are fixed in my front yard, totally out of breath with beads of sweat trickling down my crimson face.

I had just finished jogging a 4 mile lap and it took everything out of me.

One of the reasons being that the last time I had done it was about a year back. But it was necessary. After yesterday's little gym encounter with Tristen and later the ball practice, I realized how much my stamina had decreased.

The face of my dance instructor flashed in front of my eyes after that, which was redder than I am right now, and it was not because of exercise.

I try to stable my breathing, looking down at the grass when suddenly a cold stream of water hits my back, making me jump and scream simultaneously.

I turn around, which was a bad move, because now my front is drenched as well. I try to cover my face as splashes of water are falling on it.

The aim of the jet is lowered a little and I'm able to see the person guiding it.

Tristen Wilmore.

He is holding a green hose pipe and laughing neurotically as if this is the funniest situation. Well, not for me.

" What the hell are you doing?"

" Revenge! Sweetheart. For that bike ride yesterday." He says in between chuckles.

" You proved your point. Now stop it." I try to say without getting the water down my throat.

" Payback is a bitch! Isn't it? And I'm in no mood of ruining it." He replies.

With swift steps, I make my way towards him which he notices and aims the mouth of the hose at my face. I shield my eyes with my palm but my hair get wet.

I reach him and try to grab the pipe out of his hands which is easier said than done. So instead, I turn its face towards Tristen, soaking him a little as well before he changes it back, pointing it at me and continues laughing.

I struggle to get it out of his grip but my leg slips in the puddle near us and I fall....in it, taking Tristen down with me.

My back hits the ground hard and I  cough a little, because of both the water going down the wrong tube as well as him falling directly on me. " Ugh, that is not how I imagined to start my day." I cough some more with my eyes closed.

" You are so going to regret that Tristen." I retort but I hear no reply from him. I feel his strong grip around my waist and look up to meet his eyes which are already focused on mine.

The small amount of water that got caught in his dark hair is now dripping on my face.

The intensity in those mossy green spheres takes me by surprise. All joviality has left his face. He slowly looks down at my lips and then looks back at me with the same acuteness.

I know what's coming prior to its occurrence.

Tristen turns his attention back to my lips and slowly leans in.

When he is just millimetres away, my senses kick in and I push him off me.

" Get off me! You'll kill me with your 200 pound physique." I get up and without looking at him, I go towards the main door of my house.

~~~•

I cross the drawing room and am about to step in the living room when my mom's startled comment stops me." Whoa, whoa! What happened to you young lady?"