The Drama Rehearsal

" Picture of Aurora"

Wednesday was finally here and Caroline had dragged us all to the theatre even when we tried really hard to convince her that we would see the result when the list comes on the notice board. But no, she wanted to see the expression on our faces when the result was announced.

"Trust me Care, you are not going to like my cringed face if I get any of the roles." Stella had rebuked.

So, all eight of us (Jason included), are sitting in the fifth row with Stella on my right and Jeremy on my left.

Molly and Jason are sitting in the corner holding hands." Seriously, your eyes are going to bulge out if you'll look at them for another minute." Jeremy scoffs.

"Can't disagree with you bro." Stella joins him. I look away, thinking it's better to stay quiet.

Mrs. Hall, our plump drama teacher who is in her mid sixties, walks up on the stage with a paper in her hand. She turns towards the audience and waves the sheet . "So my lovelies, the result is finally here. Hold your breaths."

She adjusts her glasses and starts reading the list in ascending order of importance of character in the play. She finally reaches my character.

"Jules will be played by Miranda May." Stella and I let out a huge sigh.

"And finally, the female lead Erica will be played by," I see Molly stiffen.

" Drumroll please," I turn around to see the boy who plays the drum on cue.

"Aurora Welsky!"

" What?" I almost shout. Suddenly, Jeremy and Stella engulf me in their combined bear hug.

"Congratulations ! We are so happy for you." They chime together." No stop , let me go. This is not...I don't.."

" Celebrations for later lovelies." Mrs. Hall interrupts our mini party.

I want to mourn." Don't be so glum." Jeremy says in a teasing tone." Look at the better side, maybe Jason gets the lead as well." Stella joins him.

Mrs. Hall continues." The male lead Aiden will be played by, again drumroll please." I have no idea what I am hoping for.

" Tyler McCartney!"

" What?" It was Stella who shrieks. "So those are the characters." Mrs. Hall folds her sheet.

"See you all tomorrow my lovelies. Don't be late for rehearsals. Tomorrow morning an hour before the classes."

~~~•

"Mrs. Hall! "I run up to her ."Yes dear tell me." She turns around and answers.

"I was wondering why did you cast me as Erica. I didn't even audition for it."

" Well, you were pretty much the only one who had said their lines with sincerity. All the other girls were just overdoing it. All who auditioned for Erica were portraying her as a hopeless romantic which she isn't. But the way you read your lines for Jules, I could imagine you as the practical, all business girl Erica.

Plus you are a trained ballerina, Caroline had told me. That was just cherry on the top as Erica is one too. You were perfect for this role."

She looks at my defeated posture. "So , see you tomorrow dear." She turns around and leaves.

" Congratulations Aurora." Someone taps on my shoulder. I turn around to see Molly and Ryan.

"I am really sorry Mols, I didn't want this part , I even asked Mrs. Hall but..."