3

Penny

Micah and I bought the flat next door to the one I used to share with Simon. It's small, but there's a lot of open space- the living room, dining room, and kitchen all share one open area. The living room and master bedroom open up onto a balcony that looks over a park, and the flat is on a corner, so there are plenty of windows. I'm planning to fill the flat with plants- like an indoor rainforest. I'm working on a spell to make little rain clouds over the plants so they'll stay watered.

We've been moving things into our apartment all day- mine from next door, and Micah's from the boxes he brought from home. We take a break on the floor- we don't have a couch yet- and I make some tea- apple and rooibos. 

Soon, Simon trips his way into the flat, with Baz striding gracefully behind. They both look a little shaken, like they're deep in thought about something.

"How was Phillipa's?" I ask.

"Oh, fine," Baz responds. "She was... I think she had a lot to think about."

"Well, you did the right thing. That's good," Micah says.

"Yes. She was happy to see Snow, as well." Baz smirks. 

"Did you tell her that you and Simon are dating?"

He laughs. "Oh, yeah, she was...surprised."

"I would be. I still am."

I realize that Simon hasn't said a word. He's taken my cup of tea and is drinking it wordlessly. 

"Simon? Are you okay?" I ask.

He looks at me, biting his lip. Then he gives Baz an expectant look.

"Oh," Baz says, "Snow's just tired...probably overwhelmed. We ran into a...dead spot? Sort of? I mean, it seemed like one, but kind of...the opposite? Like, instead of there not being enough magic, it seemed oversaturated. It was horrible."

Simon nods in agreement. Baz sits down next to him and puts an arm around him. Simon just stares into space. It's normal for him to do this, when something upsets him or reminds him of the past. It used to scare me, but now I just feel bad for him.

"Well," I say, "let's figure this out."

My whiteboard and markers are still in a closet in my old flat. I have to run over and get them. It's strange to be in here now- it was my home for quite a while, and now it belongs to my best friend and his boyfriend. I'll only live seconds away, yet I miss this place. It's no longer a part of me, and vice-versa. The last of my belongings are waiting to be moved somewhere else, and when they are, there'll be nothing to indicate that I ever lived here. What a weird thing to think about.

I take the whiteboard back into my flat (it's strange to call it that) and set it up. I make my "what we know" and "what we don't" lists, along with a space for ideas, and fill it out with the help of Baz and Micah. Simon says nothing.

What we know:

Phillipa knows about the spot, avoids it

opposite effect of dead spot

have been seen before by scientists, previously assumed to be a weather phenomenon

What we don't know

does it affect Normals

relation to dead spots

everything else

I haven't put anything in the ideas space. I need to see the spot for myself first.