Chapter 1

Wow I'm actually writing something
I've been planning this for m o n t h s and have a Google Doc that I've been adding ideas to until I had a basic plot line and I'm so excited to get started!!
There are some characters from other musicals (as well as two OC's , one mine and one from someone else)
This first chapter is pretty much just character intros so....
Also, I'm trying to write most if this book in 1st person so it makes more sense, but I'm used to third, so I might slip up, forgive me

TW: Mild homophobia, homophobic slurs

Sunday, 7:30 pm
Connor's POV

At about 7:30 I looked at my laptop, the cast list should be up by now. Everyone had been waiting anxiously to see who would be in the school musical, Newsies and we were all very excited. I wasn't even in the show, but I was the choreographer, so I had to see what kind of people I was working with to make the dances look good.

I looked through the cast list, looking for Chris and my brother Zach. Zach wasn't allowed technology yet so it was up to me to tell him if he got the role he auditioned for or not

CAST LIST
Jack Kelly... Kevin Price
Davey Jacobs... James Church
Crutchie... Christopher Thomas
Les Jacobs... Zachary McKinley
Medda Larkin... Nabalungi Hatimbi
Katherine Pulitzer... Olivia McKinley

Already I was pretty happy with the cast list. Chris was playing Crutchie, a role he was absolutely perfect for, and his boyfriend James was playing Davey, a role he was also quite suited for. Zach was playing Les, so I would get to tell him that, and my twin sister, Olivia, was playing Katherine, which I already knew was gonna happen, Olivia was the best female singer in the school. I sort of knew Naba Hatimbi, I had a few classes with her, and I knew she and her family had just moved to the states from Uganda.

The only issue I had was with Kevin Price, he was a huge asshole. He was a hot asshole, not gonna lie, but an asshole none the less. I had never heard Kevin sing, and he had never been in a production of the Drama Club before, but he had to be good if he was playing Jack. We had never talked before, so I didn't know him well and I was kinda worried. I decided to push my worries aside until Tuesday and moved in to the rest of the cast, it was the background Newsies who would be doing most of the dances anyway

Race... Jack Price
Joseph Pulitzer... Larry Murphy
Hannah... Reese Daniels
Spot Conlon... Moritz Steifel
Morris Delancy... Connor Murphy
Oscar Delancy... Jared Kleinman
Background Newsies... Kyle Michaels (Elmer), Kaleb Zelder (Specs), Martin Schrader (Albert), Josephine Price (Jojo), Austin Harris (Finch), Matthew Brown (Finch)

I was pretty happy with the students that we're cast in the second part of the cast list. Larry Murphy was other Connor's dad, and he had been an avid member of the Drama Club back when he was in high school, and was very happy when other Connor approached him with the idea of playing Pulitzer. Moritz was the German exchange student I think. Jack Price was dating Reese, who had been doing drama as long as Connor had, so that's probably why Jack was in this show. I still couldn't put my finger on why the heck Kevin joined Drama, it didn't really seem like his thing, but I stopped thinking about it, that question would be answered on Tuesday.

Sunday, 7:00pm
Kevin's POV

I anxiously opened my laptop, terrified of what was about to happen. I hastily typed in the school's website URL, and waited for the page to open. Once it did, I clicked on the PDF link to the cast list for the school musical. I quickly put my laptop on the floor, I was too scared of what was on that computer screen to look at it without some mental preparation.

What if I'm not even in it? What if I wasn't even cast as a background Newsie? Dear God, why did I audition with a sad song? Who does that? They probably hated it.

I tried to stow away all my negative thoughts as I looked at my laptop.

CAST LIST
Jack Kelly... Kevin Price

Holy poop. I got the lead. It took everything I had in me to not to completely freak out and jump around and be a complete idiot. Dad would have to come see what was up with me, and I did not want that. So I just scanned the rest of the Cast List, and found that both Jack and Jo had gotten parts as well. There were some other people on the list that I wasn't exactly sure about. James Church and Chris Thomas were Davey and Crutchie, Jack's best friends in the show. I was a little uncomfortable about acting alongside them, they were homos after all (oh em gosh I hate writing this part with a firey passion) but I guess I would have to get over it if I wanted to keep my part.

When I first told my parents that I and auditioned for the Musical, they just asked me why. I told them that it was because colleges were more likely to accept people, and I was more likely to get scholarships if I participated in both sports and the arts. I wasn't exactly sure it was true, but, unlike Jack, I didn't have a justifiable reason for being in the musical. Jack's reason was that his girlfriend, Reese was in it, and our parents loooooovvvvveeeedddd Reese. They wanted her and Jack to get married, so anything that made Reese happy, they approved of. I on the other hand, didn't have a reason, so I made up the college thing to avoid the accusations of being a fag because I joined the drama club just because I wanted to.

I decided since it was almost 7:30 at this point, I should finish up my homework and get to bed.

1036 words

WOW I WROTE A WHOLE CHAPTER. Some quick things, first this story is called "Wow Commitment" because I actually committed to something, wow!
Second, Reese is Christianslaterbrows 's OC.
Third, I not only allow, but I WELCOME, LISTEN TO, AND ENCOURAGE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, I WANT TO KNOW IF WHAT I'M DOING IS SHITTY, OR IF MY GRAMMAR SUCKS, T E L L M E
don't just tell me you hate it because that hurts my feelings
BUT GIVE ME CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM
Ok, I'll probably update this again later tonight, because all of the sudden I just have the urge to write this story.
Don't forget to comment and vote!
~Virginia