Cinderella

Hey guys! Thanks for all your support so far!

. . . . .

"You're going to have to clean the entire house, including the attic and basement. I expect you to get rid of those pesky vermin that scuttle around here. Don't forget to help your sisters with their homework, prepare supper, and clean the floors until they shine. If that's not completed by the time I get home, you're grounded." My stepmoms red painted lips curled up into a sneer, the look of smug satisfaction twisting her facial features into something ugly.

"When are you getting home?"

Her eyes narrow into hard slits, and she whacks me with her studded make-up bag.

My arm felt like it had been engulfed in flames, since she already hit me with a steel frying pan earlier. Repeatedly. I refused to let her see my pain- and instead remain calm and collected, as if it hadn't affected me at all. I relaxed my muscles, keeping my face smooth and unperturbed.

"That is none of your business. And don't look at me- it'll upset my stomach."

"Maria."

"What?

"We don't have a basement."

She sent me a look of disgust before turning away and striding out of the back room.

I had lovingly dubbed the back area as my room. It was small and smelled strongly of coal, but it was my personal space. There was a tiny built-in gas fireplace, a dusty barren bookshelf, and a lumpy cot tucked into the corner.

Let's not forget my source of lighting. The light bulb was barely affixed to the ceiling, attached by a single wire that was partially covered in black plastic casing. The exposed bits occasionally flared red-hot and sent down a few sparks, and more often than not they would manage to hit me due to the cramped quarters.

The floors were cement, and cold.

I woke up in the morning and basically leapt from my bed to the doorway, attempting to avoid the freezing floors.

I curled up on my cot, hugging my knees to my chest, my eyes starting to close..

"ELLA!" Two screechy voices shouted in unison. My eyes fluttered open and I started with a jolt, my mouth hanging open comically as I fell and hit the floor with a resounding thud.

"Idiot." Marcella intoned, while Sheila nodded in agreement.

Wiping my sleep encrusted eyes, I glanced up at them wearily.

"What do you want? Make it quick."

"As if you can order us around! Mommy said we could ask you to do anything and you would have to obey!" Marcella let out a high pitched mocking laugh, sounding triumphant.

I froze, ice flooding my veins.

"First, let's start with our homework."

Sheila slammed down three textbooks, several loose papers fluttering down and scattering around the floor.

She drew back her left foot and swung, pain erupting in my side.

"Why didn't you offer to take those from me? Stupid bitch. Pick them up!" She screeched, red in face.

I dutifully leaned over and began collecting the sheets. I clambered to my feet and stacked them in a neat pile on my stiff bedspread.

I winced as I was hit again. Glancing over, I saw Marcella with a look of fury in her eyes and an Algebra textbook clutched in her hands.

"God you're so SLOW."

"I'm sorry." I apologize weakly, hoping to rectify the situation.

Her mouth curved into a wicked grin as she flung a book at me.

And another.

And another.

She looked at me with a fake look of surprise and hurt. "Ella! Why'd you throw my things?"

I frowned. "W-what?"

She pouted. "I guess I'm going to have to tell mommy. And you know what that means?

"No food for three days!" Marcella and Sheila chorused.

I felt the blood drain from my face, and I stumbled backwards. "Please don't!"

They clasped hands, smiled prettily, and flounced off.

I swore, plopping down to the floor and slamming my fist against the metal of the box springs of my cot.

It hurt.

Slowly, but steadily, hot tears began to leak down my face.

I dared to glance at the window.

I couldn't.

Not yet.

A small buzz caught my attention and I dove for the woolen blanket.

My phone- a secret gift given to me by a friend from school.

She was concerned when I showed up with bruises, and I confessed everything. Her family had a decent amount of money, and she leant this device to me in case I needed her to pick me up if things got bad.

SAM: Hey. You haven't checked in yet. You alright?

I hurriedly typed a response, glancing at my doorway in case they came back.

I don't have a door to close for privacy, so hiding a phone is pretty difficult.

Me: I'm fine. Nothing bad happened today. I'll see you tomorrow.

. . . . . . . .

Chores.

Fuck. My. Life.

Three slow, painful hours later I was able to collapse on my bed.

My joints an muscles were sore, and moving around for that length of time left me in a bad state.

Everything sparkled. You could have probably ate of the floors if you wanted [Although I don't know of anyone with that particular fetish].

I completed homewo-

Oh.

No.

In the midst of cleaning and attending to THEIR homework, I had completely forgotten about mine.

I grudgingly sat up and flicked the yellowing switch, the tiny bulb emitting sparks.

It was going to be a sleepless night.