Four

"Let her go," On cue, the big men released my arm where another bruise was starting to form. Everyone stared at me in confusion. Everyone except Ashton. His eyes were the size of tennis balls, and his face was filled with shock, almost horror. He looked at me with such disconcert that it instantly made me feel like the unwelcome surprise I was. 

Okay, so now what was I supposed to do? I couldn't just tell him I was conceived with his child while his girlfriend was staring right at me with that much disdain. She looked almost offended that the man she was dating was associated with me. 

"I'm sorry. I should just go." I have never felt more lost in my life. I imagined a life with a child, alone. There are many single mothers out there, but I don't think I have that kind of strength. I weighed my options to put it up for adoption or abortion. It was then that it hit me that I might welcome another life into this world, another human whom I would share a closer bond with than any other person, at least for the next few years. And Ashton wouldn't even know that he could have been part of it. 

I turned on my heel with tears in my eyes. Of course. Tragedy ensued whatever plan I had. What's new? 

"Wait!" Ashton interjected my pitiful thoughts but I couldn't stop. The moment I stopped walking away, I knew that worse things was going to happen. Things I had no control over, things that I might not be able to handle. 

"I got it." I heard one of them say. 

"Hey, wait up!" I heard that boy shout, but I ignored him and continued walking. He ran and caught up with me.

"Hey love, you don't have to be scared. C'mon, we won't turn down a fan." He laughed. 

"Woah." He blurted out when he stood in front of me and saw me in my wrecked-up state, bawling into my fists. He placed both hands on my shoulders and rubbed tiny strokes with his thumb. 

"Hey come here, " he said as he pulled me into a stairwell. It was quiet and private. It was ironic that the only place I had enough space to catch a breath was in that stuffy stairwell. 

"What's going on?" He comforted. "Don't cry. It'll be okay."

He waited for me to finish sobbing before his hands tapped all the pockets of his jeans frantically, looking for a hanky. His expression morphed from one of disappointment to being apologetic. He paused for a moment before pulling his shirt sleeve, offering it up as a makeshift tissue. I chuckled, it almost startled me. I couldn't remember the last time I felt like genuinely laughing. 

I didn't even know him. Should I tell him? After all, he is Ashton's bandmate.

"It's stupid. I don't even know why I'm here." I kept my eyes on him, reading whatever emotions he had running through his veins. He looked confused at first but nodded his head. 

"I'll just sit here for a few more minutes and if you don't feel like telling me, whatever. But if you do tell me, I promise to do all that I can to help you." He sat on the stairs and dusted off the spot next to him, inviting me to take a seat. I lowered myself next to him and wiped my puffy eyes.

"Why are you being so nice to me? Do you treat all your fans this nicely?" I asked out of genuine curiosity. He thought for a moment before turning to me. 

"I try to treat my fans as nicely as I can, but I'm sure that if any of them went through the trouble you did, they wouldn't voluntarily leave the room that all of us were in so hastily." He remarked with a half smirk on his face. "There's more to you and I want to know it." 

There it is. Every time you meet someone new, there would be a moment in that conversation when you begin to think that they just might be someone who could understand and listen to you. You don't fully open up to them but the walls that you put up are no longer of brick but of rubber.

"It's honestly crazy. You won't even believe me." I muttered. 

"The past few years of my life have been the epitome of crazy. Try me." He leaned closer, so close that his hair tickled my cheeks. "You can whisper it if you're scared."

"I'm pregnant and I'm pretty sure that Ashton is the father." Just repeating those words again put a sickening pit in my stomach. I wanted to cover my face and run away because that guy's once playful facade was no where to be found. I felt instant regret. He observed my face, waiting for a sign that I was pranking him. Perhaps, he was hoping for a "Haha, gotcha" that I wasn't going to give.

"You wanted to know, here. That's why I'm acting like a maniac. He was the only guy I messed around with in the past year." I wasn't even sure if he believed me. "Say something, please."

"Sorry, that was a bomb. I need to process." He held up a hand, telling me to wait. He shot up from his seat and started pacing. I wondered what was running through his head. This mystery man isn't Ashton, I can't imagine Ashton's reaction to the news if his reaction was already so horrible. 

His eyes widened, and he let out a puff of air. He ran his fingers through his dark hair.

"Wow." He whispered. "You aren't lying, are ya?" He put his hands in his pockets awkwardly. I shook my head. 

"That is pretty crazy." He laughed. I was taken aback, he was actually laughing. This guy either had a really twisted sense of humour or he's just a natural goof. 

"So, you came all the way from Australia to Chicago?" He asked, amazed.

"Yeah." 

"To tell Ashton he is the dad. And let me guess, you saw Jess and decided not to speak."

I nodded. He caught up pretty quickly. 

"If it's any consolation, I can tell you that Jess is probably the worst girlfriend Ashton has ever had." He pointed in a manner of fact, the side of his lips tugged at the thought of insulting his best friend's girlfriend.

I couldn't help but let out a soft giggle. 

"So how did this happen?" The million dollar question was asked as the light mood died down. I explained the whole situation of that night a few months ago to him. He seemed interested, as one would be if they were listening to the story about how their friend knocked up some girl they just met.

"It's not like him to just up and leave. It's not like him to be so impulsive in the first place." He said. "Ashton is a good guy, honestly."

I hoped that's true. 

"How long are you staying?" He asked, leaning back onto the wall. 

"My flight back is in three days." I recalled. 

"Cancel it." He interjected. 

"What?" 

"I'm not joking. Ashton has to know about this. He should take responsibility and from the looks of it, he knows who you are so it shouldn't be that difficult." My eyes widened at his suggestion.

"And by the way, I'm Calum."