Chapter 5 ~ The Day of Training (Pt. 1)

When everyone arrived at the training building, located at a military base in the middle of Virginia, no state had made a joke. No one even fought each other the entire bus ride. Some of the nations over heard Iowa going over what ND needed to do to pass the level she was on.

After North Dakota could relay it back to the state to a 'T', they saw her pull out a notebook, and sketched out a layout of a late 1800's style farmhouse. Lichtenstein, who was sitting next to her, started pointing out routes she could take, with Iowa sketching them down in some different coloured pens she had placed in her backpack. They went back and forth like that, listing off all of the pros and cons of each route, with the Midwestern state even numbering and starting a list on the next page full of them, and continued until the notebook was almost entirely full.

By the time they had gotten to the base, they were going over all of the pros of, what they called, route 450, and were on the last page of a second notebook. It took Switzerland, America, and Washington DC to physically drag them out of the bus to get them moving into the building. They were still discussing routes as they walked in as well, causing Iowa to pull another notebook out her bag, and start writing more pros and cons of each route.

After about 10 minutes of America leading them towards the room, they finally arrived. Every single nation could sense the unease that surrounded the states. From the looks on their faces, the nations couldn't help but feel anxious themselves as America unlocked the door.

The door was completely made of steel, and had a sign that read, 'America, the States and Authorized personnel only,' in big, bold, red letters. America had to push on the door with a majority of his strength only to get it open. He held the door open for everyone, before saying to the states,

"I expect all fifty-one of you to say thank you in the most common language in your state, OTHER THAN Spanish, because that wouldn't be too interesting."

When the states heard that Spanish was off the table, 42 of the states, including DC, groaned in frustration, because some of them had to dig really far back into their memory.

As they all walked through, around 15 states spoke in German, about 11 in French, 4 spoke Vietnamese, 3 in Tagalog, 2 in Portuguese, 2 in the Navajo language, 2 spoke Italian, 2 spoke in Korean. The nations did notice that there were some curve balls in there as well. For instance, Washington spoke in Russian, Illinois in Polish, Minnesota in what they thought was Hmong, Wisconsin in Arabic, New York spoke Chinese, South Dakota in his native Dakota Sioux language, Alaska in what they assumed was Yupik, and Florida spoke in French Creole.

When all the states including DC stepped in, they all got into their little regional cliques, waiting for it to start, with North Dakota going over the plan again and again. However, there was one state that didn't join a clique, but was however sitting on installed bleachers, flowing over her journals, trying to find something.

"Lichtenstein, do you remember what number had the most pros over cons?" She asked, before Lichtenstein shot back,

"I believe it was Route 189."

"Thank you!" Iowa said, going to the notebook that had routes 101-200 in it, and flipped to the back of it, before she started moving the pages forward. She looked it over and went back to the first notebook which had the map, and tried to find Route 189.

She then took out a box that no one knew was in her bag, and appeared to reopen it. She proceeded to take what looked an exact replica of the floor plan she had made on the bus out, and set it on the floor, quickly flooding over the plan again. She appeared to be going over it just like ND was, but visually instead of vocally mumbling it to herself.