chapter seven

The entire night seemed like a blur to Alec; it had all happened too fast for him to process and by the end it had felt like his mind had been torn apart and stuffed with foreign information and his brain had rejected it. It just didn't make sense. Nothing made sense anymore, and Alec knew it probably never would again.

While Magnus drove above the speed limit, racing towards the police station, Alec replayed the memory of the look on Simon's face when he noticed that Alec saw the mask. The numbing shock and fear was something that Alec had never experienced before in his life, not even when he was attacked.

The fact that Simon was the one who attacked him seemed impossible, wrong. Simon was never particularly strong, he was actually known for being weaker than the rest of them physically, but his attacker threw him around like Alec was a piece of paper. He tried to think of a scientific, biological explanation for how Simon was so strong, realising that his physical appearance did match the masked figure.

Alec thought of how Simon visited him in hospital, he gave him a card which had 'get well soon' scrawled across it in a kind, yellow font. Simon was kind. The thought that Simon could have been framed did occur to Alec, although he wouldn't have run like a wanted criminal if this was the case.

Magnus felt a similar sense of betrayal, as he had known Simon for a long time now and he felt a bond with the boy; he had always seen him as a good friend who he could rely on for anything. No one could have predicted what else he got up to in his spare time.

He could see Alec's mind turn on him due to the expression on his face, seeing the cogs turning and the reality of the situation slap Alec around. Magnus knew that this would affect Alec for life; his friend tried to kill him, and he had been treating him as one of his best friends since the attack. It was sort of an ironic tragedy.

 "I called him last night and asked about our plans for the weekend," Alec whispered after a while, sounding broken. They were almost at the police station, the feelings of shock and nervousness numbing Alec's entire body. Magnus turned to look at him after a few moments, not sure what to reply to Alec's statement. 

It was impossible for Magnus to articulate anything that could help this situation. Simon was Magnus' friend too, and while he hadn't been attacked by Simon, he still felt the betrayal and sadness that Alec felt.

Magnus pulled up to the police station slowly, Alec not waiting a second, the car still slowly stopping, before pushing the door open and rushing towards the building. Magnus followed after parking the car, seeing Alec talk hurriedly to the first police officer that he saw, who was holding a black mug filled with hot coffee.

The police were clearly interested in their statement, the man who was clearly in charge ordering a few police officers to go out and find and arrest him. The police officer thanked the two of them for the information, telling Alec that he wished him a fast recovery, clearly recognising his face from every local newspaper.

 "What do we do now?" Alec asked Magnus in a defeated tone, both of them slowly walking to Magnus' car, Alec feeling unsatisfied with the fact that they had revealed who the masked killer was. It didn't feel true or right. Alec felt as though he wouldn't be happy until they caught him and he confessed.

Magnus suggested that he should drive Alec home, and Alec should try and sleep. It was late and they had school tomorrow. The best thing for both of them right now was their beds, and to see each other in the morning. Alec thought for a moment before disagreeing, Magnus turning to look at him with a confused look.

 "I know it's a lot to ask but can I stay at yours tonight? I can't bear the thought of being alone tonight, even if I share a room with Isabelle. It just isn't the same." Alec said, his tone almost desperate. Magnus said that Alec could obviously stay over, but told him that they should drive to Alec's house first and tell his family what had happened and where he was going for the night, so that they knew he was safe. Maryse would worry to death if they didn't.