Chemically Platonic (30) Dinner Round Two: Part One

"How come you're the one that looks so nervous?" Sam asked in a hush tone, giving my hand a small squeeze bringing me back to our conversation.

With the multitude of chatter at our backyard table it was doubtful a whisper was required to not be heard; unless you were shouting it was hard to get a word in between my brothers. They were having a competition regarding whose favorite sports team was going to win this year. Each knew better to ask Sam or I our opinions.

"Since when aren't you nervous for dinner at my house?" I redirected the question, having no substantial answer for him that wouldn't urge further questioning.

I wasn't about to try to explain how my brothers have been pestering me about using the 'L' word. Atticus has not kept tight lipped about it and now it was like a swinging anvil just waiting for me to stand in one spot for long enough.

Sam explained in typical fashion, always having some sort of response, "it is like having dinner in the twilight zone. You're not sure what's going to happen and there is usual a twist of some sort. Either way, thoroughly entertaining." He grinned enjoying the banter.

"Is that so?" Raising an eyebrow, I leaned in to whisper, "That was before us doing dirty stuff was just conjecture. Now we'll actually have to lie and I know how great you are at lying."

Previously, a comment like that would have made Sam run for the hills and excuse himself from the table. Now, well-worn into my humor, he grinned. "Wasn't it you who said there wasn't anything interesting above the table, last time? I'm sure even if you blurted out vivid details, no one would bat an eye."

Oh how the tables have turned. I couldn't lie that his boldness was a turn on.

"Is that a challenge?" I laughed in surprise, about to stand and say the first thing that came to mind, "attention..."

"No," Sam said abruptly, his hand grabbing mine and slamming it down, clenching it as if to keep me seated and quiet.

I sunk back into my chair, a winner of a small battle but I liked winning wars and this was just the beginning of tonight's.

Gerald barked from mid-way down the table catching a glimpse of strange behavior, "Hey, what are you two doing?"

Sam avoided his gaze, turned to me instead with a pleaded looking.

"Oh nothing," I rolled my eyes but my tone told a different story.

"If she's being inappropriate with you, let us know, Sam. We'll straighten her out." Gerald got a rise in bothering the two of us, even more than Atticus.

"Okay," Sam replied, meekly knowing silence only provoked further torture.

Sometimes it was easier just to give in... sometimes.

I had other ideas. "What makes you think Sam wants my inappropriateness straightened out? I think he rather enjoys it, don't cha Sam?" I asked, dragging him back into a conversation he had tried to get out of.

"Juliette, don't get him started," Penny pleaded from inside the kitchen as her, my mother and the other Sam slaved away.

"Too late." Gerald was quick with his response; giving me a challenging stare.

"Oh don't get Gerald started," I laughed pausing, "Good thing since I already got Sam started," Snickering, I watched Sam's face go beet red in embarrassment and Gerald's in anger.