Chemically Platonic (21) Problem With Tens

"Heads up." I heard a voice call out as something lightly rolled and hit my shin.

I snapped one eye open, putting my chin to my chest; giving anyone down wind of me a perfect view of my double chin. What had hit me was an orange volleyball. The careless team obviously wasn't the greatest when it came to aiming their serving.

Sitting up, I used my fingertips to inch the ball towards me. Once I was able to grasp it with both hands I picked it up. A tall figure jogged towards me in my peripheral vision. When I looked up to see him I had to squint. There was nothing sexy about a sunglasses tan.

Sitting upright I prepared myself to toss the ball back at him. Surprisingly, his hands weren't waiting to receive the ball I was about to throw. With a raised eyebrow and a cocked head, I glanced at the summer addition ken doll.

"Hey," he said coolly with a wide smile. I was surprised he had made a single sentence without the words 'bro' or 'sup'.

"Hi," I laughed, confused.

My hands caught the untied straps of my bathing suit. I had untied them to avoid awkward tan lines. Using both hands I re-tired them tightly around my neck.

"Do you wanna come rally with us?" he asked with a rather charming yet un-freckled smile.

"Excuse me?" I asked in a scoffed. Was this seriously happening?

"Yeah. Come play with us," he offered.

Turning my head towards Sam I watched as he kept a wary eye over his book. I had never seen those light eyes filled with such darkness before. His freckles had vanished. He barely moved except to turn the page of his book.

"Sorry." Even without him prepared, I shoved the volleyball into his direction with an oomph. "But I'm here with someone."

"I'm sure your friends won't mind." Again the guy smiled while he twisted the ball in his hands.

"I think they will. I'm the only entertainment these people have," I smirked.

"Dudes do you think you can spare her for a second?" He spoke over my head towards the four gentlemen behind me who have barely left the comforting shade of the umbrella.

I turned my head to take a look at the peanut gallery. Truthfully, I wanted to see if that dark storm had settled in Sam's face. It was with a furry sandstorm that whirled rapidly.

"Um." There was a cluttered of mumbles from behind me.

"See, your friends won't mind."

Guys like this drive me crazy. They think that because they have zero body fat, the typical long and shaggy but not too long and shaggy hair with bright eyes, that they can get away with anything and swoon anyone.

"I'd love to kick your asses at volleyball but I think I'm going to stay here with my boyfriend." I hate being the girl that has to drop the B word just to get a guy to leave but sometimes it was necessary.

His eyebrows perked up, the tone in his voice surprised when he repeat the word, "Boyfriend?" The biggest question mark was hanging over his statement. Again, he peered over me, taking a look at the selection I had behind me.

By the pursed eyebrows and confused expression, I knew the thought that was crossing through his head.

Personally, I was sick of people assuming that I was out of Sam's league. He was smart, cunning and awkwardly handsome. He made up for what I lacked. Both of us had different aspects to share.