Chemically Platonic (25) B and E

Crouched down, I breathed warm air into my hands to warm them. The night breeze had taken a sharp dip from the time I left my house with only a thin sweater. In my travels to Sam's house I hadn't come across him. His legs were much longer than mine and with his whirling mind he was much faster than I.

I cleared my throat feeling awkward kneeling down to peer into Sam's bedroom window. With all the lights off in the house, I saw it fit to make another entrance. Mr. and Mrs. Biggs hadn't hated me yet and I wasn't prepared for them to start now.

"Sam," I whispered in a hush.

The grass felt damp even though it hadn't rained in days. Kinking my neck I poked my head down near the window. His bedroom light was off like the rest of the house. Steading myself against the paneling I used my knuckle to knock on the glass.

"Sam," I said a little louder hoping not to wake the parents. It was late enough for everyone to assume and awkward walk of shame would follow.

Without a response I pulled out my phone sending a cryptic text that read, 'I think I saw someone trying to break into your house'. After I hit send, I waiting like the perfect stalker. Sam's phone lit up and I witnessed movement amongst the shadows.

"God damn it Sam. It's cold," I hissed again knocking on the glass. My shoulders recoiled at the sound, praying I wasn't heard.

The light flicked on illuminating his meticulously tidy room. Unlike the rest of the basement he only kept the necessities here. He had a bed, dresser and desk. When I first saw it, I recalled Sam quoting an article saying plain bedrooms with few things helped people be more productive.

Sam turned sleepy eyed and squinting to the window. After realizing who his stalker was he took strides, maneuvering his desk chair to under the window. Standing on it, he slid open the window leaving only the screen between us.

"What." He blinked. "What are you doing here?" He asked most likely more surprised at my appearance at his window than actually being at his home.

"I know you're new to this but you can't just start to say something and then stop. It was either come here or lay awake for hours and contemplate and over think everything that's ever happened since birth," I sighed, disappointed with having such a girly response and attitude. I had always thought myself above petty jealously and over reacting.

"It couldn't wait 'til morning?" He yawned.

"I'd be a wreck by then." My arms wrapped around my sides trying to keep myself warm.

"Would you rather have me freeze to death out here or invite me in to talk about this?" I asked him.

Sam smirked and appeared to be contemplating the idea of closing the window and crawling back into bed. The devilish smirk was one I enjoyed; it meant that he was up for going toe-to-toe with my attitude.

My eyes pierced through the screen. "You let me in right now or I'll." My eyes searched through his room for a solid object to threaten him with but instead I found my eyes staring at his bare chest as he removed the barrier and offered me a hand in. I gulped, oh God I was going to be in trouble.

After shimming awkwardly through the window, I was eventually on my feet. On my tip toes I slid the window closed to stop the night time breeze.

"I can't believe you weren't going to let me in," I joked in a hushed tone.

"I can't believe you climbed through my window. You should have just texted me and I would have just opened the front door." Sam slouched on the end of his bed giving me a sideways glance.