Chapter 20: Gone

Brianna's POV:

Three weeks later.

Everything was bleak. Jesse refused to come out of his room, Mason and the gang went back to their kingdom. Crime started to increase again, people kept crying out for Silver Shadow. Asking about her whereabouts, when she's coming back.

But, she's not coming back. 

"Jesse, please open up." my aunt knocked on his door pleading.

"You have to eat something," she stated her voice filled with sadness. 

Jesse took the news worse than me, he stopped eating, barely left his room, he was given personal time to cope with his loss. I understand, he just got the girl of his dreams and she was taken from him before he got the chance to know her better. 

"Bri?" I turned my gaze from Jesse's door to my aunt.

"You sure you want to go," she paused, "I mean, Stephen gave you time off, but if you're ready," she stopped as Jesse's door opened.

We stared at him confused, he was dressed for school, sporting black jeans with a blue shirt and a maroon leather jacket, his hair was still wet stating that he just showered.

"Jesse," my aunt gasped in surprise, "are you sure you're ready, I mean you have time...." but he cut her off.

"It's now or never Aunt Kar," he said taking in a deep breath before his shoulders drooped again, "I know she's gone but I need to try to move on or at least get my footing back.

"I lost the one girl that made me happy, someone I would love to spend the rest of my life with but now I can't," he continued his voice breaking.

"Okay Jesse, if you're ready to try then go ahead but please look out for each other," Aunt Kar said before walking to her room.

"You ready?" he asked me, his eyes glossed over as we knew the day we were about to face.

"No but we gotta start somewhere," I replied before walking down the stairs.

Riven, I'm going to miss you but I'm grateful that I got to know you. I'm going to try my best and move on and help Jesse as well. I know you'd want us to live our lives and not dwell on your passing. We'll do our best but we're going to miss you so much.

Thank you for being my friend.

Jesse's POV:

Later that night on a rooftop.

Why did she have to go?

I just got her and I had to lose her. The one girl, who wasn't family that understood me had to slip right through my fingers. I'm still haunted by her death, the image of her lifeless body as Mason took it through the portal.

Everything just went still, I couldn't grasp that she was gone, that she left.

"Hey, Jesse," I snapped out of my thoughts to see Mason walk closer to me.

"Are you sure about this? It's a dangerous life and a ton of responsibility," he stated as he handed me the staff.

I held it in my hand testing its weight, it was very light, I fixed my grip on it before transferring a bit of my power to it; it glowed orange as it elongated.

"Her legacy needs to live on Mason, the world needs to know that Silver Shadow is still here; they need that hope," I told him gazing into the night sky.

"Eleonara's plan is moving forward with Emilia out of the way, sure she hated that Reaper killed her but she got over it and is trying to kidnap Brianna and I again," I faced him, his eyes were calculating everything I said and do.

"I've seen the guys tail us, I'm not going to let them harm my family," I started my voice steeled with determination.

"I know Jesse and I won't let anything happen," he pinched the bridge of his nose before staring at me, "I don't want you to make this your distraction from the pain you're feeling, I.." I interrupted him.

"It's not a distraction, it's helping me channel my anger and I'm seeing a therapist, so my emotions are covered," I told him while moving to the edge of the roof.

"Alright but if I feel that you're emotionally compromised I'm pulling you out," he commanded.

"No problem," I told him understanding what he meant.

"Alright," he took a deep breath before placing his hand on my shoulder.

"For Emilia," He stated before teleporting us to the streets.

For Emilia. May her memories live on!