Chapter 11: Dammit!

"Okay, let's get down to business."

"I'll be able to be serious when you stop making Mulan references," Markus says, sitting down with a glass of orange juice. He places the glass on the table and smirks at his little remark. He can be a huge smart ass at times. It usually ends up with Markus and Daniel going it at it like cats and dogs. Most of the stuff they break just happens to be mine, too.

Daniel gives Markus a deadpan stare. "That wasn't even a reference, you butt," Daniel whines, glaring at the other boy in anger.

I sit quietly and watch it happen. Ever since the incident with my magic, I've been pretty depressed lately. I haven't been my usual self. I've felt so ashamed, because I couldn't control something. I broke down, pathetic and weak. Not to mention, Andrew has been avoiding more so than usual. Everything just hurts so much, and I can barely stand it. I want to just curl up into a ball and cry and beg for him to be with me. I'm so pathetic, and I can't bring myself to care. I guess I'm just that desperate.

"Anyway," Daniel says pointedly. "We've got to find out who those rogue wolves are, and we need to stop them." He pokes at the table in emphasis, making Markus raise an eyebrow. He has this habit of being even more of a pain when things get serious. I think it's how he copes with it. He doesn't really have the best history when it comes to tough times. Well, none of us do. It's a part of our past I'd rather not relive.

I gaze quietly at Andrew as he stares towards Daniel, who is practically lecturing us. "Let's start by checking out the crime scene. We'll try and get a scent and link it to someone. Whoever they are, they're probably someone in town."

Everyone nods in agreement, and no one notices the way I keep my head down during the discussion. I swallow and stand up, following everyone else out the back door as we head to the scene where the murder happened. I'm at the end of the group, trailing behind and lost in thought.

The woods smell particularly different today. It's probably something to do with the murder. Everything just smells so scared. It's like the forest is living and breathing and absolutely terrified of the...the monsters that dwell within it. I feel so bad for it. It's like we're one in the same. We both feel so scared of the future, and we don't know how to cope with everything that's happened. It's utterly terrifying but reassuring all in one. I don't want to be alone, and I'm not. I think that's why I love the forest so much.

Paul says something to Markus softly, whispering to his boyfriend, but I don't pay attention to it. What they talk about is up to them. Plus, I have enough on my mind to keep me preoccupied for    some time. Soon, I have a tall and muscular werewolf walking beside me.

"How're you holding up?" Markus asks, stuffing his hands in his black jacket pockets. He looks uncomfortable, and I can't blame him. He's never been very good with talking about feelings and such.

I swallow and shake my head, looking up to the treetops above me. It's a cloudy day, so there's no sunlight shining through the trees like there usually is. It fits, I suppose. "Not so good," I reply in all honesty, kicking a random rock into the distance. It lands with a soft thud, coming to a rest right beside a tree root sticking out of the ground.

"I'm sorry, Adam." He rubs my shoulder and pulls me into a side hug. It's awkward and he's rather tense about it, but it's nice. It's comforting.

I wrap my arms around him and bury my face in his chest as we walk. He's warm, and I feel relaxed and safe in his arms. He's always protected me, and I'm grateful for that. I can see Paul smiling at us, and I can't help but grin. I'm glad that Markus has found someone so caring. I never thought that Paul would do something so nice for me, because he barely knows me. I'm glad he does, though. I'm happy to have him as a fellow pack member.