Love Lights

There I sit. Swaying gently in the breeze of a warm summer's day. The cool fresh air a lovely reprieve from the blistering sunlight from above on my black plating. Oh how i wish I could shade myself. How I wish I could protect myself from the cold, the blistering heat, the rain, the snow, but I stand strong and do my duty. Every day my lights shine in order to direct the bustling traffic below. Left...green...right....red....straight...yellow. Day after day. The same drag over and over. The whirring of cars becoming almost drowned out by the monotony of it all. Until she showed up. Her beautiful brunette hair. Succulent tanned skin. Freckles dotting her sun beaten face. And oh those green eyes...those beautiful green eyes that captivated me the moment I saw them. She wore an orange vest with safety lights as she guided cars with her arms. Left arm out, the cars would stop. I was entranced by it. How they would obey her like they would me. Something began to bubble up deep inside me. Something I've never felt before.....hatred. I hated how she took my spotlight. I hated how she made me feel like a worthless hunk of metal on a pole....but I couldn't stop staring. She was captivating....entrancing...I couldn't get enough. My lights flickered green. She glanced up at me, those green eyes locking with my light. I felt as if I would burst a circuit. I could feel the electricity running through my wires as I began to change lights again. She began to leave. "No!" I wanted to cry. I wanted her to stay. I absolutely despised her, but I wanted her to stay. The burning hatred began to build up in me before....I snapped. I couldn't take it. Maybe this wasn't hatred I felt. Maybe it was something else...something stronger...Love. I loved her. I couldn't bare to see her leave, but she did....day after day I would wait to see if she returned. To see my beloved again....day after day my electricity would grow weaker and weaker. Saddened by the thought of never seeing her Now here I lie. Metal surrounding me. Rust coating my metal frame. It's excruciating...never being able to see my beloved again...I love her...I need her... my lights will never flicker again because of her.