Finding Out You're Expecting: Q Part 3

"Can I come in?" he asked quietly.

You were too shocked to say anything at first. Your heart was playing tug o war.  Here stood the man that had broken your heart but he was also the father of your child. Part of you wanted to slam the door in his face but the other part still held out a slimmer of hope that he cared about this baby.

"I guess" you finally answered stepping aside letting him in. You hoped you weren't making a terrible mistake.

Q walked in standing in the middle of your living room. He looked tired. His face covered in stubble, his hair disheveled, his eyes sad and dark. He stared at the floor not wanting to make eye contact as  he nervously fidgeted with the zipper on his jacket.

"I just" he started finally looking up at you, "I just want to tell you how sorry I am."

Your heart was pounding. The words you'd been aching to hear for months were finally being spoken but it did little to heal your broken heart. You just stood staring at him unsure of what to say.

"I know sorry doesn't fix this" Q continued, "but it's the only place I know to start. The day I walked out on you was the worst day of my life."

"You didn't just walk out on me, you walked out on our daughter too" you snapped back.

"I know" Q said his voice sounding shaky. "Believe me I know! The last 5 months have been hell for me. I knew the second I left I had made the worst mistake of my life." Tears began streaming down his face. "All I want is you, our daughter, our family. Please, please can we try to work this out?"

You tried so hard to hold back your tears but it was useless. All of the emotions you had kept bottled up for the last few months came spilling out. You collapsed on the floor, sobs spilling out like a waterfall.

Q was immediately across the room and by your side. He sat on the floor wrapping his arms around you.
"I'm so sorry baby please don't cry" he pleaded.

The two of you sat on the floor like this for what seemed like forever. Finally you looked up at him. It had been so long since you looked into his eyes. You had forgotten how safe he made you feel.

"Can we please start over?" Q asked leaning his forehead against yours. "I swear with everything I am I will never hurt you again. I want to be here to raise our baby. I want to be there when she takes her first breath, I want to teach her how to walk, ride a bike, take her to her first day of school. I love you and I love her. Please give me another chance."

"Of course I will. This is all I've ever wanted" you said starting to cry again. Before you could say another word Q pulled you even closer and gently kissed you. Oh how you had missed his soft lips.

Q's hand sank lower until it reached your baby bump. He pulled away from the kiss smiling. "We're going to have an amazing life."