Safe House

2:23 am, 4 hours and 37 minutes until the end of The Annual Purge.

"Here's your stop," The driver said loudly.

I heard myself snort as I quickly opened my eyes and sat up. I didn't even realize I fell asleep! I then looked around and saw the giant metal box right in front of us! It appeared to have a giant wooden porch in the front. I turned around and could hardly make out Chicago in the distance.

"I said...!"

"Yeah, I know what you said!" I snapped.

I then looked at Kelsey and saw her sleeping peacefully. I then gave her a light shake on the shoulder and she opened her eyes quickly.

"We're here," I told her calmly.

"Alright," she replied, and then proceeded to get up.

"Thanks for the ride," I told him casually as I helped Kelsey onto the porch.

"Thanks for the boat," The driver replied.

I then got out of the boat and onto the porch, as well. I checked to make sure I still had my machine gun and Kelsey had her pistol. Both of us had our weapons.

"Good luck," I told the driver.

He simply chuckled as he looked up at the box.

"You need it more than I do," he replied.

With that, he turned the boat around and sped away. I then looked back up at the box and saw the giant doors in front.

"So now what?" Kelsey asked.

"We safely get inside, safely find Mark, and violently murder him," I replied.

"Sounds simple enough."

"Key word: SOUNDS. There's no way it'll be that easy."

"Well, you don't have a choice, do you?"

"Point taken..."

I then walked towards the doors and saw a giant metal lock on it.

"Could you try shooting it off?" Kelsey asked.

"Not worth it," I replied. "It looks too strong. Plus, we don't want to draw their attention."

"Oh."

Suddenly, we heard a noise come from inside. It sounded like it was rapidly approaching the door!

"Hide!" I whispered.

We then got away from the door and around the corner. A few seconds later, the lock clicked and the door opened, revealing a woman slowly sticking her head out with a shotgun in her hand.

"Here's our chance," I whispered to Kelsey. "It's going to get real crazy real fast. You ready?"

"Yes," she whispered back.

I then slowly turned back towards the woman and saw her still looking around. I then deeply exhaled, readied my gun, and charged! Without her noticing me, I aimed my gun and fired!

RATATATATATAT!

She fell to the ground with a thud as her shotgun slid across the porch and into the water.

"GO! GO! GO!" I shouted to Kelsey.

She then ran behind me as I ran into the open door. The first thing I saw was a giant room that was all gray with a giant staircase in the center and completely lit up. It felt like the lobby to a mansion!

ERT! ERT! ERT!

Red lights flashed all over and a giant siren blared through the whole structure!

"Warning! Intruder Alert!" a computerized female voice announced and repeated several times.

"We gotta move!" I shouted at Kelsey.

I then ran towards the stairs and kept my eyes peeled for anyone who could attack. As we got to the second floor, we could see a giant wave of people bolt at us with giant machine guns pointed at us! Without hesitation, I pulled out my own gun and started firing at them. I could instantly see some of them fall down as they got shot. Some more fell as they tripped on the falling corpses in front of them. I just stood in the center of the hallway shooting at everyone I could see. After about 30 seconds, they stopped coming and I had a giant pile of bodies in front of me. I deeply exhaled as I turned around and saw Kelsey stare with amazement.

"C'mon," I told her. "Let's keep going."

I then kept running forward. I had no idea where Mark was in this structure, but I had to keep looking. Even if I had to open every door and kill every person in here, I needed to find and kill Mark. The hallways in the complex were massive, and there were tons of doors! I seriously had no idea why there were so many rooms, but that wasn't important; I had to find the one with Mark.

"Stop right there!" I heard Kelsey shout.

I then also heard a gunshot, as well as a man's scream, quickly after that. I turned around and saw Kelsey looking down a hallway with her pistol out in front of her and a man lying down, moaning. I ran over and saw he was shot in the knee. I was impressed with her aim. I then kicked the man's gun away from him and stared at him with anger.

"Where's Mark?" I asked.

"Who?" he replied.

I then punched him in the face with all my fury.

"WHERE'S MARK PIERCE?!" I shouted in his face.

That obviously got his attention, as he then gave a giant and evil smile.

"He's not here," he replied.

I punched him in the face again. This time I could've sworn it was harder than before!

"LAST CHANCE! WHERE THE HELL IS MARK PIERCE?!"

"Not...here...!"

I then hit him in the face a third time, only this time with the butt of my gun! His face was bloody and I think his nose was broken. Despite this, he just laughed.

"Beat me all you want," he threatened. "That won't make him come here!"

I then got off him and stared furiously at him. I didn't think he was lying; I didn't think Mark was actually here!

"FREEZE!"

I looked up and saw more people with guns surrounding us.

"He wants to see Mark," The bloody man said with a smile. "You should take him to him. I'm sure he'll be happy to see Mr. Tate over here!"

I then let out a small gasp; how did he know my name?! The people surrounding us gave a quick nod and put their guns away. I then deeply exhaled with relief, as did Kelsey. Suddenly, though, they pulled out smaller guns and fired them at us!

PIFF!

I then felt a sharp pain in my shoulder and I collapsed. I looked and saw a small dart sticking out of it. I felt my head getting dizzy and my vision fading. I just hoped I wasn't poisoned or something.