Chapter Forty Five

•••

•••

In less than a second, Regulus was off, sprinting down the stairs with such frantic haste it was a wonder he didn't break his neck. There'd been rumours that the girls' stairs in Gryffindor turned to a slide when a boy tried to step on it but he honestly didn't care, somehow he'd find a way up. Seconds before he was about to put his foot on the bottom, a startled scream broke him out of his adrenaline crazed dash.

"No, DON'T!" He looked up to see a figure on the stairs, her hands held out and waving manically, "It becomes a slide, please wait until I'm off ... wait, Regulus?"

Her face did look slightly familiar but it took a few moments to realise where from: Georgie's dorm-mate who they'd ran into a few times, "Wait ... Pearl, isn't it?"

"Yeah, how did you get into our dorms - " She was cut off as he suddenly lurched forward, gripping both shoulders tightly.

"Georgie... is she in there?" He asked frantically, "Listening to Beach Boys and eating whatever her heart desires."

"Yeah, exactly that actually..." It was as if every muscle in his body relaxed at once but he should have known not to be too hasty - Pearl wasn't done, merely pausing for dramatic effect, "Well, exactly that until she left about ten minutes ago - "

His eyes widened as horror set in once more, almost falling over had it not been for Pearl pushing him up, "Did she say where she - "

"Regulus, maybe calm down, you don't seem okay - "

"DID SHE SAY WHERE SHE WAS GOING?"

The shock of it made the previously confident Pearl stammer a little, "I-I ... I don't think she said exactly, just that she had a few unfinished things to take care of ..."

Everything said after as Pearl's voice muffled into white noise. There were a lot of things Georgie could have gone to do but he sensed he knew where they all ended up. His voice became soft, letting go of Pearl as he backed away slowly, "She's at the Slytherin dorms."

"Regulus, please chillax a bit. I mean, it's Georgie, her unfinished business could literally be that she wants seconds of desert," Pearl looked incredibly concerned, her hands held out faintly towards him as if he were dangerous prey, "Maybe you should go and lie down, you look a little pale - "

"No time," was all he muttered in a fleeting response before running out of the dorms.

Even the Fat Lady's threats weren't enough to stop him as he sprinted down the corridors, his legs practically moving by themselves instincitvely. Nothing could slow him down, not even for a second, continuing at the same manic pace until he was outside the dorms. Scanning around rapidly, even more horror crept in as she was nowhere to be seen. That was until he remembered unlike most Gryffindors, Georgie had no qualms about being in the Slytherin dorms: perhaps she'd gone inside.