Chapter Thirteen

•••

•••

The news from Cordelia had left Georgie buzzing, so much so that she wasn't sure she could wait until the next meeting to tell Regulus that she did indeed belong. Sadly, the boy was mysteriously absent from school, not even showing up for supper no matter how long she waited. It seemed she was going to have to wait a few weeks to tell him ... although luckily fate had other plans.

Hogsmeade trips were a highlight for most students and neither Georgie nor Fenwick were an exception to that. They were up early on Sunday morning, wrapping up warm in colourful bobble hats and stripy cowl neck sweaters before waiting outside, a solid half an hour before anyone else. For Fenwick, the highlight was Three Broomsticks, giving him a chance to spend fleeting moments with the lovely Rosmerta - one time she'd touched his hand, leaving Fenwick flustered for the whole term. Georgie, of course, preferred Honeydukes, spending hours wandering around the shop, filling bag after bag and spending all of her parents' hard-earned money.

However, it appeared that there was about to be another highlight, becoming evident as the Slytherins arrived to line up, coming together in a neat clump. Although they were stood at opposite ends of the Quad, she could make out Regulus from a mile away, wrapped up in a thick, fur coat with his head was poking out. Fenwick noticed her glancing over at something and bent down to get a closer look.

"Sirius?"

"What? No! ... and shush," She hissed, "It's Regulus ... I need to talk to him."

A sudden bout of nerves suddenly came over Fenwick as he gripped his friend's shoulder, "What? In Hogsmeade? I don't know if that's a good idea given what the people are saying... can't you just tell him at the next ... get together?"

Despite his careful words, several people appeared to be eavesdropping, her presence alone causing disdainful whispers. For a moment, she almost let them get to her before shrugging it off, "Chillax, Fenwick, it's alright. I'm just talking to him alone, that could be about anything. Maybe I want to ask him where he got the coat from or share sweets! This is fine, trust me."

As the group walked into Hogsmeade, she remained focused on Regulus and to her surprise, the boy almost seemed to be watching her back. Fenwick reckoned it was in a disturbed 'why-is-this-girl-staring' kind of way but she sensed it was different. He never quickened his pace or appeared malicious, as always it was curiosity more than anything else.

Once they were in Hogsmeade, she noticed him simply standing there alone, as if admiring the snow so sent Fenwick to the Three broomsticks alone, promising to join him later whilst she had her conversation. 

As she neared him, Regulus carefully glanced over his shoulder before once again looking away. There was an odd gleam in his eye; she got the feeling he knew exactly why she'd wandered over.

"Hello," She beamed, giving him a slight wave. Whilst he didn't return the smile in its entirety, there was a definite softening to his expression, from rock to hardened clay.