Chapter Nine

•••

•••

Since the incident on the train, Professor Slughorn found that sleep evaded him. The Dark Mark graffiti signifed the very movement he may have accidentally provoked circling back to taunt him so it was understandable he would be a little ... on edge. However, things were about to change, the book on drowsiness elixirs he'd ordered had arrived that very day and for the first time, sleep was becoming a very real possibility: he'd tucked himself into bed with hope twinkling in his gooseberry coloured eyes.

Sadly, that night, something worse than a Deatheater had found its way into his room, silently slipping through the door he'd forgotten to lock in his haste to sleep ... a girl with many questions and a wild imagination to match.

"Professor ..." Georgie hissed, daring to poke at his wizened old cheeks, giggling as he lightly snuffled in response, "Professor Slughorn..." 

Again there came no response so Georgie straightened up a little, looking for something to wake up the sleeping Professor. She could wait until morning but by that time she'd most likely have forgotten the Regulus related questions on her mind: this was urgent. Her eyes came to rest on a strange, platinum box, with a hinged lid resting on a chest of drawers. Inside the box, she found many pretty gemstones and decided to fashion a makeshift maraca from it.

Sadly, after several minutes of shaking, the professor had still not been roused, forcing her to take drastic measures: snapping the lid shut right near his face. Now, this worked like a treat and within seconds her Potion's Master was sat bolt upright, looking around frantically.

"What ... who..." Slowly he turned towards her, jumping back in fright, "Good heavens, who are you and why are you in my room?"

"Georgie, Georgie Humphreys, I'm in your potions class," She replied without thinking before her face broke out into a toothy grin, "Oh good, you're awake, now I have some questions - "

With a look of bewilderment, Professor Slughorn fumbled for his wand, lighting up several candles although his eyes never left her face.

"Georgie,yes, I remember ... goodness gracious, look at the time, you should be asleep! This is not the time for questions of any sort!" He replied.

"Oh, I'm not tired, don't worry! Anyway, my question was about someone in your house - "

He blinked a few times before cutting in, "I'm not worried, Georgie ... well, I am but this is not the time for questions! You shouldn't be in my room at all."

"Please, Professor? I will leave, this is a fly by visit or would be if you'd stop interrupting," She continued, "So I have a problem regarding Regulus Black."

It became clear that she was adamant on asking tonight, if he shunned her away this would simply become a re-occurring sleep and he was not letting his night's sleep go for the sake of a pesky student.