Chapter 8: Battle on the Grimm Express

Start from the beginning

"I beg your pardon?" Jonathan blinked.

Oobleck took a sip of coffee, "What is your reason for becoming a huntsman?" 

Jonathan regained his composure, standing upright instead of in a fighting stance, "Well Doctor Oobleck..." JoJo trailed off. He didn't know if Oobleck was aware of his situation, so he thought he'd play it safe and say something reasonable. "I want to defend the people who can't defend themselves from the dark evils of the world. I failed to protect my family not so long ago. I intend on redeeming myself." 

"Very noble, good luck with your ambition." Doctor Oobleck said, then zipped off again. 

"That man never stops, does he?" Jonathan asked.

"Nope, never." Weiss sighed and walked to stand beside Jonathan. 

"Students, it's getting dark. You four, set up camp in that building," Oobleck tossed a bag at Weiss, Blake, Yang, and Jonathan. JoJo caught the bag easily before it could collide with Blake's face. "Oh, and do please make sure that there are no more of those creatures. Your leader and I are going to secure the perimeter. Come, Ruby." 

Ruby glanced at her teammates and gave a small shrug, but followed the huntsman with Zwei at her heels. Reluctantly, the remaining students began to head inside of the building that Oobleck had pointed to. Yang was still watching her sister and Oobleck walk in the opposite direction of them.

"She'll be fine." Blake steered Yang towards the building.

"She better be." Yang gritted her teeth. 

Jonathan chuckled lightly as he slung Oobleck's bag over his shoulder and followed the three girls in front of him. 

"This is certainly an interesting way to spend an adventure." JoJo thought to himself. 

Within the hour, the camp was set up for the night. They even had a fire set up in the middle of the room they were in, courtesy of Jonathan. Ruby and Doctor Oobleck had been gone for almost two hours, and everyone was getting uneasy.

"Where could they be?" Weiss asked.

"I dunno, but it may be a while before they get back. There's no telling what Oobleck is doing." Blake sighed. 

"Soooo whatcha wanna do to pass the time?" Yang asked as she sat down on her bedroll. 

"Perhaps we'll just tell scary stories around the campfire." Blake said sarcastically.

"That's a great idea!" Yang grinned. 

"I propose we tell stories of our personal experiences instead of frightful stories." Jonathan raised an index finger. 

"That's even better! JoJo, what'd you do before coming to Beacon?" Yang looked at him.

Jonathan's eyes widened. He hadn't realized that meant him too. 

"I too am interested in your past. We know next to nothing about you before coming here." Weiss stated.

"Oh, uh, er-" JoJo said nervously, but some divine force had been looking over him that night. Before he could get into any of his past, a familiar high pitched voice rang out.

"We're baaack~" Ruby announced.

"Indeed!" Doctor Oobleck announced as well.

Jonathan exhaled the breath he was holding in. 

"Thank goodness."  he thought to himself.

"I see that you set up camp quite adequately. Good work, you four!"  Doctor Oobleck told them.