Chapter 37 "Left Behind"

Start from the beginning

After four rings, he finally picked up.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" he greeted sternly.

I gritted my teeth, "I...I need your help," I mumbled reluctantly and heard him take a deep breath.

"Did something happen?"

"They took Olivia's parents yesterday...I have to get them back Black, and I need your help."

He paused for a while, "...Look, Agent Smith...I get that you need all the help you can get, but...this is getting dangerous, and you know I can't risk the lives of my agents...or your life, over that stupid cartel."

"Stupid? Is saving Olivia's parents...your friend Felix, stupid?" I sighed in disappointment, "And not with that crap again Black...You know, I don't get you... If you don't want to risk our lives, then why the hell you trained us to be agents in the first place?" I hissed, but tried my best to control my anger and took a deep breath, "Look...you gave me countless of missions, as dangerous as this one, and you never stopped me before...so why now?" It took a moment for him to answer and I thought he had already hung up, until I heard him letting out a huge sigh.

"This mission had turned out to be extremely dangerous for you Scarlett... because this time, you let your emotions get in the way of your duty, you have been too attached with the subject that you can't perform your job effectively, which almost cause your life and the Coxs'..." I pursed my lips, unable to say something back, because he was right. "You said you needed my help..." he added, making me hopeful, "well, I'm afraid I can't lend you that. As much as it pains me to let Felix go, I can't let you risk your life anymore Scarlett...I care about you that much to let you do that."

I frowned in confusion, "W-What'd you mean?"

"...Stand down Agent Smith, and come back to the Agency. That's an order," My confusion instantly faded into anger and I snorted in disbelief.

"I stopped taking orders from you when you decided to abandon the Coxs, Black...and whether you like it or not, I'm gonna save them, even if it means I have to do it alone," I said through gritted teeth, before ending the call. It was a wrong move, calling him, I should have anticipated he would react this way. Even if his friend was in danger, he still didn't budge, it made me wonder why he was so against me saving the Coxs... And to say he cared about me really caught me off guard and made me confused as it was the first time he said that to me, even I never heard him said that to the other agents. I may be reading this too much and he could mean he cared about me as an agent, but even if he felt that way, it wasn't enough to make me hate him less right now.

Shaking my head, I headed upstairs to take a shower as it would help blow off some steam. I opened the door to our bedroom, and checked Liv first who was still sleeping, before stripping off my clothes and walked in the bathroom. As soon as the water hit my skin, I instantly felt rejuvenated, helping me clear my head. Even for a brief moment, I wanted to stop thinking about everything, to be free from worry, as it was weighing me down. I knew Liv was counting on me to save her parents, but sometimes pushing myself too hard would end up nothing, that was why I needed some alone time to rest my mind.

Wrapping the towel around my body, I got out of the bathroom after almost thirty minutes of easing up and found Liv already sitting on the bed, looking at me with uncertainty in her expression.

"You're awake, how are you feeling?"

She took a deep breath, "Bit better...Are you okay? You took longer there,"

I forced a smile, "Yeah..." I mumbled as I slipped on some clothes, "just cooling my head." She remained silent, and when I glanced at her, she looked like she was about to say something, but I decided not to ask as she would tell me eventually if she wanted to.