13: The Battle Room

Start from the beginning

Geoffrey was attempting to discuss something or other with me; however my mind would not keep drifting. My eyes scoured the room, swimming over the cackling fire, the light orange glow it created on the glossy white mantle piece. The great curtains that hung high above my head to embrace the tall windows created shadows that seemed to dance in time with the light the flames created. Aside from the fire, there was little light in the room, apart from two tiny candles flickering on the dining table.

I realised that Geoffrey was laughing, and I half heartedly joined in, despite not truly knowing what we were laughing for. I could see Geoffrey’s eyes glowing even in the dark of the room, and my stomach flipped uneasily as I remembered how different they were to those of my Cancer Wolf.

“Elizabeth, darling, are you alright?” Geoffrey asked, and I nodded, my cheeks flaming again. I smoothed out my napkin, and I took a quick sip of my drink. I held the glass in my hand, and I realised my hand was shaking. I took another sip, and I tried to keep my hand still.

“I’m fine” I answered quickly. It was too quickly, and it would set doubt into Geoffrey’s mind. A fool could see I was most certainly not fine. It was not that I was in a negative mood; it was simply that my mind was elsewhere. No matter how hard I tried I simply could not escape the delicious thoughts of Calvin that kept appearing in my mind.

“Are you sure? Because if I’m to be perfectly honest with you Elizabeth you seem distracted, and I think-!” Geoffrey kept talking, but I felt myself becoming rude and dissolving into my own thoughts. The thoughts of the Zodiac Wolves kept appearing in my mind. And the Stray Wolf was a key player in my team of fears too. He could be anyone, anywhere. And I was still suffering much confusion over the true identity of my Cancer Wolf.

Geoffrey had confirmed that it was him, but I did not love him the way I loved Calvin.

And I was supposed to love my Wolf more than anything else in the entire world.

“Geoffrey” I interrupt Geoffrey, and he looks at me surprised. I take a deep breath, and I set down the glass I realised I was still holding. “Are you my Cancer Wolf?”

Geoffrey freezes for a moment. I see something flicker through his eyes. Geoffrey takes a long dreg of his own drink, and a few awkward seconds passes between us before he answers. He blinks a couple of times, and he clears his throat. I watch his every movement, suddenly feeling defensive.

“Yes, I am Elizabeth”

I do not believe him.

My first reaction, the first thing that crosses into my mind is that he is lying. As much as I want to believe him, as simple as it would make things to believe him, I cannot. I do not love him like Iris loves the Capricorn Wolf. The Wolf Mate Bond is clear between them, and it is most definitely not there between Geoffrey and me.

“Then I am very sorry to say this Geoffrey, but I cannot be your mate. I am in love with another” I tell him, and I try to keep my eyes locked with his out of respect for him. He does not say anything. Geoffrey’s face has become set like stone, and he looks intimidating. I push my plate of food away that I have scarcely touched, and I attempt to get to my feet. “I’m sorry Geoffrey. I think I should go now, thank you for a wonderful evening, I-!”