Bonus Chapter

Because I love you guys

It stared with Poe telling me not to come to the hangar, "don't come to the hangar today." He said. It ended with me needed 17 stitches (though I think Poe exaggerated) on a nearby moon.

I think me spending so much time with Poe had an undesired effect, such as I started to not listen when people told me what to do. Maybe his optional stance on authority rubbed off on me a bit because when he told me not to come to the hangar today, I didn't listen.

My shoes squeaked against the floor, an annoying symphony of heel to toe percussion that made everyone around turn to look at the conductor, me. It was late, sun just barely kissing the horizon and everyone turning in for the night. Therefore, my justification for not listening to Poe was that it was no longer today, but tonight. And if he wanted me to not come to the hangar, why would he say it at all, I never go in there without an invitation anyway.

"Does Esma know you're out this late?" Poe called from beside his X-Wing.

Arms crossed in an authoritative pose, he leaned against the ship with a look of mock annoyance. One that a guardian would give their teenager when they came home past curfew.

I mimicked him as I walked the last couple of steps towards the man.

"Does Esma know you're the one keeping me out?" I teased and Poe dropped is arms to wrap around my waist, giving me a quick peck on the lips.

"Let's just agree not to tell her." He laughed and pulled away from me. "Her maternal instincts scare me sometimes."

I laugh as I flick a piece of something off of his shoulder.

"So why couldn't I come to the hangar today?" I ask.

A large grin spread across his face as he dramatically motioned to his ship.

"This is why!"

I looked. Nothing was different. Only when I turned back to Poe with a confused look did he explain.

"Date night." He said. "Climb on in."

So I did. And inside was a fire red blanket underneath a larger metal container, both right behind the pilot seat, and both without an explanation.

"It's for a picnic." Poe scratched the back of his head. "I hope you like it."

My heart swelled at him. I smiled so broadly, grabbed the side of his face and kissed him. How could I be so lucky that I end up with such a caring and thoughtful person?

"Poe, that's incredible." I say. "Thank you so much."

"Well don't thank me yet, we haven't left."

We jetted off to one of the nearby moons, my heart racing at the thought of a simple picnic, and I could wipe the smile off of my face.

We touched down in a meadow, curled up sunflowers and tall grass being blown outward at the landing ship. The beauty of it made me instinctively touch my necklace, but I didn't have enough time to take it in because Poe grabbed my hand - his other holding the picnic supplies - and dragged me onto the grass.

A soft declining hill stood before us, giving an amphitheatre-like presentation to the endless horizon, stars, and planet that it overlooked. Poe outstretched the blanket (refusing my help) and laid it down with all our necessities. He organized it so swiftly and perfectly that I couldn't help but think he spent hours practising how to arrange the food.

And finally we could eat.

We laughed, and spoke of everything and nothing. Shallow topics, deep thoughts, he tried weaving me a flower crown like I had shown him once, but ended up tossing it away and only placing a single flower behind my ear ("their beauty can't compare to you anyway" he said, but I knew he was just embarrassed). And it was everything I could ask for and more.