Do it Right (NehpetsEnal) (Wk1)

Do it Right

I remember we lived in a croft, on the Isle of Skye.

Mummy would say that those colourful curtains of light, are at Gods window.

I remember that my Daddy was a ship's Chaplin.

Mummy would say, he sailed the seas and fished for souls.

I remember when Daddy got lost at sea.

Mummy cried and prayed, and prayed and cried, but he never found his way home.

I remember that my Daddy also loved to paint.

Mummy was beautiful and would often pose naked for daddy in the loft.

I remember when Mummy became ill.

Daddy painted a portrait of Mummy wearing a scarf on her head and hung it proudly on the wall of the Croft.

I remember how Mummy used to smile endlessly, at her portrait on the wall.

She would say, it was her view of heaven, and that it gave her hope for a world full of happiness and colourful flowers.

I remember how Mummy insisted, that I must always stay on the right track, whilst walking together in the woods.

She would say, it's so easy for the faint-hearted to be blown off course, so hold the tiller tight, and no matter the distraction, have faith.

I remember how Mummy would react when I made a mistake.

She would say, it's important you remember this little one, never waste time with regrets and only look back if there is something to be learned.

I remember how Mummy would comfort me when I was sad.

She would say, you are the light of my life, and I know that life can be tough, but only those unfortunates born blind, must live in the dark, so open your eyes and see how the world is full of light.

I remember how Mummy's stories of Fairies and Nymphs, filled my mind with mystery.

She would say, that if I wove flowers in my hair and danced among the trees, I'd be sure to find them there.

I remember how in the spring, Mummy would wake me at first light, to collect mushrooms from the meadows.

She would paint our faces with all the colours of nature, and we would sing happy songs so that the gnomes and elves could sing along.

I remember when Mummy told me, she was going to heaven.

She took my hand as we walked away, and said don't look back, we're going to live with Auntie May.

But most of all, I remember the last thing she said.

Come close, listen well, if you are going to do something, no matter how small, do it from your heart and you'll do it well.

Throughout my life, those few words have remained a mantra, guiding me safely through life's journey.

It's now my turn, to prepare my farewell.

So, I now pass the torch on, in the hope that it may do the same for you.