12: After-Shock

I trace my fingers up the leg of my soft pajamas, then curl up and hug my knees to my chest when my mom walks into the room. She sighs and leans against the doorframe, arms crossed, with a meek smile.

"Jenna you're lucky you have such nice friends."

"I know, mom--"

"No, I don't think you do."

"Mom what are you talking about?"

She points to the floor beside my bed.

I slowly crawl over to the edge of my bed and look over to the side too see what she was referring to; I nearly screamed and fell off-- Matty McKibbens was sleeping on the floor of my room. "Oh my god." I poke him with my foot, but his body is limp and passed out. Last night must have been tiring for him.

"He brought you all the way home. Such a sweet boy. What was his name again?" She winks at me.

"Its not like that. And his name is Matty."

"I'm just saying," she raises her hands for emphasis, "Maybe you should consider getting it on with this guy."

"Get out."

"I think he has the hot's for you."

"Please get out, he could hear you!" I throw a pillow at her and she leaves with a smirk.

It's the times like these where I wish I had a mother that was slightly older. Preferrably less naive and immature. You know... just a thought. She acts like a teenager and I try not to think about that too much. It would break her heart if I told her what I thought of her immaturity as a mother-- since she was a teen mom and I supposedly ruined her life.

----------

Slightly hungover, I know I can make it through. The minor pounding coursing through my head doesn't stop me from realizing that Matty had been a good guy; bringing me home.

 Later that same day, in the afternoon, I walk back upstairs to my room with a bag of chips. I pop one into my mouth and chew slowly as I scan the area. The window is wide open and the curtain flutters in and out with the wind. Matty was gone.

I really wanted to apologize to him- for the way I was acting while drunk. But more than that, I want to know just exactly what had happened last night. I need to know what I had done and said.