8: Forgive Or Forget

"Testing 1 2 3, testing 1 2 3!"

A female voice rang out from the loudspeaker to make an announcement. It sounded an awful lot like Valerie Marks, the guidance counselor.

No one in the room was paying attention but me; everyone else in the class continued to scribble away at their papers, taking notes.

"Jenna, report to the counseling office. I repeat, Jenna Hamilton, report to the guidance counseling office. Over!"

The teacher, Mr. Portsman, doesn't even look up from his computer screen. He effortlessly waves his hand at me, motioning for me to leave.

"...Is this thing off? No?"

I pressed my hand against my head and shook it as I walked out of the classroom. Please stop talking, Val.

"Okay! Disregard that last message! Have a good day!"

The loudspeaker clicked off and I was halfway through the hall when I started to wonder what this was actually all about.

I hadn't done something wrong. Had I?

Wait, if Valerie was making the announcement on the loudspeaker which was in the main office...

...Then who the hell was waiting for me in the counseling office?

"H-hello?" I asked uncertain of why I was here. I had to flick the light switch on and slowly walk up to Valerie's vacant desk.

No one replied so I began to feel this worried sensation in my stomach. If this was a scam, I'd feel so stupid. And if it was, I was either about to get pranked or scolded, or both.

Finally I found a brightly colored note on top of her piled papers that read:

***

Welcome, J-Dawg.

J-Dawg's not too weird right? Well I guess I should call you Jenna because you're technically my student and all...

But anyways! To the point! Now time to be serious.

Another student has been visiting me lately about a... um... problem. And it kind of has to do with you. Well, a-lot has to do with you. Heh.

So me and my brilliant brain couldn't think of a better way to settle the indifferences than this. AKA, trapping you two in a room together.

You two can work this out! :)

~Ms. Valerie Marks

***

Suddenly the door shut behind me so I spun around to see who had done it, but no one was there. Then someone coming from behind me, towards the desk, started speaking.

"There's a lot we need to talk about. I think we can both agree on that."

"Yeah, you could tell me who you are, for starters." I was genuinely confused.

I inched my way back towards the desk, and then abruptly the swivel chair spun around to face me. Sitting there in front of me was Matty McKibbens. Once again he has surprised me with an unexpected visit. A new feeling was beginning to wash over me. I think- I think I might actually be sick of Matty.

If that's even possible.

The supposed 'boy of my dreams' was sitting right in front of me, but for some reason, all I wanted to see was Jake Rosati.

"Matty? Have you been stalking me or something lately? It's like you're around every corner..."

"It's probably just coincidence." He shrugged and tapped his fingers on the desk.